The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Theodore and Panthers not talking about a new deal

Unsigned goalie has no thoughts about retirement; wants to return to Florida but says two other teams are interested:

Florida’s goaltending situation would seem to be settled with Jacob Markstrom and Scott Clemmensen. That news doesn’t bode well for last year’s No. 1 guy Jose Theodore.

Theodore spoke with Harvey Fialkov of the Sun Sentinel and said things aren’t going great to return to Florida this season.

“The Panthers are still my No. 1 choice. I don’t know if the door is closed, but there’s been no discussions,” Theodore said. ”Training camp is still a month away, so I’m not ready to think about [retirement].

For what it’s worth, Theodore is keeping a positive outlook on things comparing this to when he seemingly, out of the blue, signed with the Minnesota Wild in 2010. That said, if he’s banking on staying in Sunrise with the Panthers, he might be waiting a long time for a phone call.

GM Dale Tallon has essentially said they’re moving ahead with Markstrom as their top guy and with Clemmensen still there to provide relief, they’re not in any hurry to overcrowd the crease. Even with questions about whether Markstrom can live up to the hype, Theodore might want to consider locations other than South Beach.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/15/theodore-and-panthers-not-talking-about-a-new-deal/

It's about time the either go with Markström or move on without him. He's done his time in the minors and either is ready for the big stage as a starter - or then he won't be one at all. Maybe a bit too steep, but that's my view of it. And with both Theodore and Clemmensen there, it was a bit difficult to make room for him, as he hasn't been outplaying either one so far.

I'm hoping he can turn his game around and win some games. But that's up to the rest of the team too, so...

Considering Thomas didn't play for a year and all those personal problems he will bring to the team.. I don't think any team (esp. in the East that will go to Washington more) should sign him unless they really don't have any goalie or any prospect goalie to take a risk.

Archived