The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Area 51 is Real, CIA Documents Show

DonLever

Area 51, fodder for countless sci-fi tales and conspiracy theories, is an actual government facility 145 km north of Las Vegas.

The facility, which the government long denied even existed, is often the setting of extraterrestrial experiments and government coverups in science fiction shows like the X-Files.

But according to CIA documents made available by a National Security Archive access to information request, the site was used to test Lockheed U-2 reconnaissance aircraft.

While U.S. officials have loosely acknowledged the existence of what they referred to as "Nevada Test Site" before, they've never officially acknowledged it. Previously released documents pertaining to the site had been heavily redacted.

National Security Archive senior fellow Jeffrey Reichelson reviewed the materials in 2002, but all mentions of Area 51 were redacted.

But he requested the documents again in 2005 and got the new unredacted versions a few weeks ago.

This goes to show the U.S. government is no longer as protective of Area 51's secrets, he said.

I'm actually very interested to know what goes on behind the gates of Area 51.... Sadly it'll probably be a mystery I will never learn in this lifetime.

I don't know why the American government denied the obvious that it was "Area 51", and was a government facility. They obviously think we are really stupid, but then again, I'm not surprised.

Guest Gumballthechewy

I thought in this day and age everyone knew that it's a real place?

As for what goes on there? Well, it's an air force installation and it being ultra top secret and all, the most logical conclusion is top secret air craft testing.

If I'm not mistaken the B-2 Spirit and the F-117A Nighthawk were test flown at Area 51.

American journalist Annie Jacobsen's Area 51: An Uncensored History of America's Top Secret Military Base (2011), based on interviews with scientists and engineers who worked in Area 51, dismisses the alien story. It suggested that Josef Mengele, a German Schutzstaffel officer and a physician in Auschwitz, was recruited by the Soviet leader Joseph Stalin to produce "grotesque, child-size aviators" to be remotely piloted and landed in America in order to cause hysteria similar to Orson Welles' War of the Worlds (1938). The aircraft, however, crashed and the incident was hushed up by the Americans.[citation needed] Jacobsen wrote that the bodies found at the crash site were children around 12 years old with large heads and abnormally-shaped, over-sized eyes. They were neither aliens nor consenting airmen, but human guinea pigs.[110] The book was criticized for extensive errors by scientists from the Federation of American Scientists.[111]

Archived