The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tired of Android/IOS debate? Why not support Ubuntu Edge

gizmo2337

Beat the crowdfunding record today! Still far away from the needed target of 32M$

http://www.indiegogo...cts/ubuntu-edge

Specs for this proposed phone are impressive. Note the biggest feature being you can connect a monitor and keyboard and it becomes a PC (see Desktop OS in the chart). Of course, its all vapour ware for now, but I believe they would deliver. They already dual boot, so its a manufacturing exercise.

Edit.

Tried to post the phone specs, but it was too garbled as text only. Scroll down a page from the link to see.

I'm surprised so many non-supporting comments! IOS vs android? Blackberry? I'm personally ready to try something else, and windows mobile never even registers on the radar. Apple has no new ideas lately. Android has gone stale with sluggish updates. This is a pure open source OS. No virtual machine to slow things down aka android. No company telling you what you can run and download aka apple.

Forget the OS debate even, this thing is probably going to have a quad core ARM A15+. That's enough to be a full PC in a phone form factor. THAT is truly something to be excited about. Take your phone to work and plug it into the monitor and you have a full PC.

All I'm saying is be careful in your excitement gizmo. I used Ubuntu on and off for years and they've always seemed to be more eager to bling their features out over working out small bugs. It started to feel like they put more effort into the press releases about their next OS version than dealing with existing problems. I've been following their mobile news for a year or so, but I'm certainly not going to be one of the early adopters. I prefer to wait and see the reports.

I'm surprised so many non-supporting comments! IOS vs android? Blackberry? I'm personally ready to try something else, and windows mobile never even registers on the radar. Apple has no new ideas lately. Android has gone stale with sluggish updates. This is a pure open source OS. No virtual machine to slow things down aka android. No company telling you what you can run and download aka apple.

Forget the OS debate even, this thing is probably going to have a quad core ARM A15+. That's enough to be a full PC in a phone form factor. THAT is truly something to be excited about. Take your phone to work and plug it into the monitor and you have a full PC.

Archived