The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tired of Android/IOS debate? Why not support Ubuntu Edge

gizmo2337

The fact that Blackberry needs to piggyback on Android Apps to make it useful shows how weak BlackBerry really is. If BlackBerry is better than all, why do they have to make Android Apps work on their phone? Is it because developers don't want to do anything with BlackBerry after the Playbook fail?

BlackBerry makes phones for communication first, entertainment second. The usefulness comes from being the best phone for communication, social media, text, email, phone etc.

The reason why they are using Android apps is because with the market being as saturated as it is, BlackBerry won't be the OS to get any app first, by using Android apps, a developer can build their app for Android, and have it run on BlackBerry right away while they work on a native BlackBerry 10 app. Besides, it costs BlackBerry nothing, and it helps close the app cap, remember, being a brand new operating systems means that there is no way they can compete with iOS right off the bat, developers need time. It says a lot that BlackBerry world started with 70 thousand apps in February, and now has over 225,000 just 6 months later. And while a larger majority of those 225,000 apps are useless, the same could be said about the majority of apps on all platforms.

First of all, you are comparing an OS that is 6 months old compared to an OS that has been fully developed for years.

Wifi calling is built into the OS on 10.2, Skype has been in BlackBerry world for some time, and Google maps is one of those that needs to by sideloaded, but works as well on BB10 phones as it does on any Android phone.

You misunderstood me. BlackBerry has a priority for communications, this doesn't mean it has the best reception and email (which by the way, it does), I mean the OS is built for communication, you have to use the Hub do understand how much it makes communicating with someone easier, not having to stop what you are doing to reply to someone, or start a new message etc, saves time.

What I didn't mean is that it does a good job of being a communication tool and a bad job of everything else. While it is better than Android and iOS at communications, security, multitasking, etc. It does just as well in games and smoothness of apps, which in a lot of cases, are Android sideloads.

I'm curious as what you think Android does that BB10 doesn't, as I have yet to see something that isn't done just as well, or better on BB10.

Better keyboard, a different and more intuitive user experience, as I mentioned, the Hub, awesome battery life (I get 30-40 hours of battery life out of my Q10, and I am constantly browsing the internet, watching videos (although I will admit, on the Q10, watching videos sucks), listening to music, etc), I don't know what the feature is called, and I don't doubt that Android has a similar feature, but the ability to wireless transfer files to and from my computer on WiFi, and 4G, also the ability download files straight to my computer from the internet, through my phone, actually multitasking which neither iOS or Android do.

The phone is built for a different type of person, iOS prioritizes apps, Android prioritizes stabilizability, and BlackBerry prioritizes communication and productivity.

Archived