The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Super hot basement suite

RottenCanuck22

I just recently moved in to a basement suite in a brand new house and its way to hot.. There is no fan down here (besides bathroom) and opening the 3 windows seems to do nothing. I don't know if its because I'm partially underground or if its too well insulated but this just doesn't feel right... How is it even possible that my place is getting hotter at night than it is during the day? I can't find any sources of heat except my tv and a little bit lights.

To top it off the landlords upstairs have their AC (which doesn't help me out at all) right outside 2 out of the 3 windows that I have so even If they're open that machine turns on frequently and it's really loud.

It sucks because the place seems really nice but now I'm getting worried that its one of those homes that was built to look nice but really is cheap and not well built or planned out. I know it's summer but it hasn't really been that hot out and there is no explanation for my place being hotter at night then it is during day. It's like the heat from the lights, tv, and any other appliance is just trapped inside. I'm looking at the thermostat at 4am in the morning and its 26 degrees when it's only 21 outside.

Maybe I'm over thinking it or maybe I'll be happy once winter comes a long but this just doesn't feel right to me.

Any thoughts?

My parents basement is partially underground and it's the best place to be when it's hot as it is always cool. There's tile on the floor mind you and during the summer months my dad keeps the windows and blinds closed all the time to keep it cool. It's a bit dark during the day but no complaints as it does keep it cool.

Do you keep your blinds and windows closed during the day? Trying only opening windows only for a bit early in the morning or late at night for a bit of air.

This. Keep your blinds closed during the day, especially those covering south/west facing windows.Resist the urge to leave your windows open at all. It's hotter outside during the day, and heat is clever, it wants in to your basement suite. Don't let it in.

Stupid question. The heat is definitely off right? There is NO way that your fridge, lights, and toaster are heating your suite up to 26 degrees. None. The only thing powerful enough to do that in a house besides HVAC is an oven on full blast with the door open. Nobody does it though because it would get expensive.

A quick and easy solution to your problem - go to a store and ask for an AC which you can connect to your window. The AC is very versatile (small) and you just attach it to your window and cool wind starts coming in right away. I used to have one before and man on man was it useful.

Yes the heat is off.. It's radiant floor heating with vinyl floors I believe. Obviously the oven isn't on either. I don't get this. I talked to landlord he said "maybe its the lights, dim them or get a lamp....also try keeping your bedroom door open".. Why should I havento keep my bedroom door open in a brand new house. This is pissing me off. Something's fishy here. So far in the first 2 weeks of living here I find out...super loud AC right outside windows, super warm Basement, cable connection in retarded place (right infront of the entrance door, shaw guy said this is dumb was this house designed retarded.. Needs to drill another hole or put cables around the door). One of the blinds on the windows got stuck and now can't move properly.. I lived in a heritage house before this and didn't have these problems wtf is this? Also it's supposedly brand new never lived in but the paint job has marks and imperfections which to me means not the best painters either.

So when you come in to the house you see, nice floors, brand new appliances, nice bathroom, good woodwork, but when you've actually lived here there seems to be dumb problems.. Like a buzzing outlet for instance. I don't know what to make of it and glad I'm not in a lease.

This. Keep your blinds closed during the day, especially those covering south/west facing windows.Resist the urge to leave your windows open at all. It's hotter outside during the day, and heat is clever, it wants in to your basement suite. Don't let it in.

Stupid question. The heat is definitely off right? There is NO way that your fridge, lights, and toaster are heating your suite up to 26 degrees. None. The only thing powerful enough to do that in a house besides HVAC is an oven on full blast with the door open. Nobody does it though because it would get expensive.

You have AC units outside of your window?

One of my first things would be to ramp open the windows in question and do a Co2 test for exhaust.

Then yes, a couple of fans and maybe a portable or a window shaker for yourself.

Remember, those big stand alone units outside will only be in use for a few months so if you are happy with the unit stick with it. But if you've serious concerns test for moisture molding issues (common in a to hot unit) and that Co2 test

I would say that their air conditioners are likely the culprit....the entire reason they are placed in windows is to expel the hot air out and that's obviously heating up your place. The buzzing outlet is a concern though...hopefully, there's not a wiring problem as that's putting you and your belongings at risk. If the landlord isn't open to seriously exploring your complaints, tell him perhaps an inspector will be? Maybe they've taken some shortcuts. Are you sure there isn't a grow op upstairs? (although, you'd likely smell it).

You have AC units outside of your window?

One of my first things would be to ramp open the windows in question and do a Co2 test for exhaust.

Then yes, a couple of fans and maybe a portable or a window shaker for yourself.

Remember, those big stand alone units outside will only be in use for a few months so if you are happy with the unit stick with it. But if you've serious concerns test for moisture molding issues (common in a to hot unit) and that Co2 test

Guys, try to keep the stereotypes out of this....I believe the issue we're dealing with is craftsmanship and yes, that has seemingly deteriorated in some trades. But you can find shoddy workmanship from various sources and it's racism to present that all _____________ do poor work. As it is offensive to paint all people of any race with the same brush, please refrain from doing so. Thanks.

Their AC could be dangerous to my health? It's like a standalone machine it's not in any of their windows. The machine is positioned like a foot outside my window but I don't feel any air come from it and there is no smell plus I do have a monoxide detector indide the house... Now I'm scared lol..

Archived