The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Photography Thread.

Warhippy

So here's a background story.

I nearly lost my hand in a bad accident a few years ago. Cannot play guitar anymore, cannot go climbing or wakeboarding. Can't downhill ride or anything yet. Basically my outdoor life is at a stand still and I haven't been able to enjoy life for almost 3 years.

The onset of depression was brutal, you don't even recognize what's going on. My best friend is a photographer, she is currently in Europe purchasing ever shrinking stocks of film but she told me to get a hobby.

So I did.

I purchased a Nikon D5100 and Ball and Pivot tripod and a few different lenses. I managed to find some solid literature on the topic as well because every camera I have ever had has been point and click, not worry about aperture lens speed and f-stop settings.

Since I got my Camera 3 weeks ago I get up basically every morning again stupidly early excited and running around town taking photos of everything.

I am happy to say today I sold my first photos and booked my first contract for family portraits.

Now, this isn't a yay tug my stuff thread or anything, that's just the background.

So does anyone else have a DSLR? Anyone else a complete rookie? If so I am asking simply that you post your good here.

Let this be the Photography thread, post your best local shots, let us chat about Lenses and Camera bodies as well as photo composition etc. I am bored.

I am just looking to get into photography. I just got a Nikon D90 and am still trying to figure it all out. Had my sister-in-laws wedding this past weekend and got a lot of great shots. It is definitely something that sparks my interest.

Sorry to hear about your accident OP.

Oh and try setting up an account at imageshack and upload all your pics onto there...then you can link them all into a thread.

I am just looking to get into photography. I just got a Nikon D90 and am still trying to figure it all out. Had my sister-in-laws wedding this past weekend and got a lot of great shots. It is definitely something that sparks my interest.

Sorry to hear about your accident OP.

D90 is a great camera, nice bridge into something bigger such as a D7100 or even a Cannon. Accidents happen I've had 3 years to get over it.

I'd suggest finding a dedicated forum to photography and an essential book.

The Photographers eye by MIcheal Freeman

The Digital Photography Book by Scott Kelby (great read easy to understand)

Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. best book ever.

These books literally make everything so easy to understand from angles to exposure metering It all helped me immensely. If you're thinking of doing more than point and shoot or auto settings these are almost essential according to my photographer and from experience now, myself as well.

Archived