The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Maxim Lapierre virtually begged to sign in Montreal

It's more like:

Lapierre vs. Richardson

Roy vs. Gaunce/Horvat/Schroeder

Since Richardson is mostly like replacing Lapierre taking the 4th line C spot and one of our young guns replacing Roy on the 3rd line. Santorelli is most likely our 13th forward.

For the life of me I still don't understand why? Just like the summer Raffi was let go. Especially after GMMG says we need to get tougher.

I was hoping they'd keep Lappy and sign Latendresse. Then they could have a French-Connection line of Burrows-Lappy-Latendresse! French men play with great pride, and seem to elevate their game in the play-offs. Great fourth line!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who liked the guy. I honestly think the big reason was to shake up the room a bit since the top-6 are all locked in. From a hockey perspective it doesn't make a lot of sense. Wish him all the best in St Louis.

He wound up signing in St. Louis instead:

When Maxim Lapierre hit free agency this summer, he had his heart set on one particular destination and it wasn’t St. Louis.

TVASports.com spoke with Lapierre (link in French) and finds out he did all he could to entice his old team, the Montreal Canadiens, into signing him. Here’s a poorly translated quote from the story.

“I did everything I could to get back with the Canadiens, but I did not figured in their plans,” he told the media at Hockey School Latendresse-Lapierre.

Lapierre spent the first five and a half seasons with Montreal before being traded to Anaheim on New Year’s Eve in 2010. He wound up signing a two-year deal with the Blues instead of landing back with the Habs this summer.

For a guy who doesn’t exactly have a great reputation you kind of feel bad for him that he couldn’t return home. We’ll likely forget all of that when he suits up for the Blues and finds new ways to terrorize the Central Division.

http://prohockeytalk...gn-in-montreal/

Archived