The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

LinkedIn: Activity Broadcasts and Why Stalk Others?

lacrotix

Hi guys!

I am currently in college. Recently, some friends of mine recommended that I use LinkedIn. Since then, I have ran into two questions I can't find the answers to:

1. When are some situations I should leave my Activity Broadcasts on? I know why I would want to turn it off (ex: I don't want my boss to see that I am actively joining Getting-a-New-Job groups), but I don't know why I would want to leave Activity Broadcasts on.

2. Why would people stalk other people's profiles when signed on? When you stalk other people's profiles, you leave a footprint of your name and the other guy can see. At the same time, you could also anonymously stalk others via Google. So why bother signing in to stalk in the first place?

I hoping somebody here is a LinkedIn person and can help! Thanks!

Stalking in my industry - marketing/communications is two-fold. One is as Heretic said, for headhunting/recruiting purposes; the second is more for establishing industry connections. I just graduated last year form university, and I used LinkedIn heavily to establish relations with marketing professionals who I wanted to talk to about industry-related news.

I keep activity broadcasts on to show what articles I am reading about the communications industry, so if a potential manager or headhunter is checking out my profile, he/she will know that I am engaged in recent industry news and whatnot. Joining a "get-a-new-job" group while employed might not be the best idea, and I'm honestly not sure how to counter that (make a second account methinks?).

For me, I primarily use LinkedIn as my second resume, a place where I can link my work with my online portfolio. Nothing's more powerful than saying I wrote 20 articles for company XYZ, and then being able to provide a link to said articles. it's hard to do that with a paper resume, but for online resumes like LinkedIn, it's possible.

Hi guys!

I am currently in college. Recently, some friends of mine recommended that I use LinkedIn. Since then, I have ran into two questions I can't find the answers to:

1. When are some situations I should leave my Activity Broadcasts on? I know why I would want to turn it off (ex: I don't want my boss to see that I am actively joining Getting-a-New-Job groups), but I don't know why I would want to leave Activity Broadcasts on.

2. Why would people stalk other people's profiles when signed on? When you stalk other people's profiles, you leave a footprint of your name and the other guy can see. At the same time, you could also anonymously stalk others via Google. So why bother signing in to stalk in the first place?

I hoping somebody here is a LinkedIn person and can help! Thanks!

Archived