The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Damien Brunner’s agent says he’ll play in the NHL this year

Now the question is: Where?:

Damien Brunner debuted in the NHL last season after coming over from Switzerland and showed he could score goals with the best of them. While he showed he can stick, no one’s snagged him yet this summer. Could he be headed back for Europe? Not so says his agent.

In an email correspondence with a Swiss paper (via George Malik), Brunner’s agent, Neil Sheehy, says any talk of his client turning down big money from Detroit or returning to Europe is false. (Poor translation ahead)

“Yes, there are NHL teams interested in signing Brunner. And yes, I’m sure, when I say that Damien will play next season in the NHL,” Sheehy said.

Sheehy went on to say that Brunner enjoyed his time in Detroit but they’re going to wait it out for the right opportunity. Where that opportunity winds up being remains to be seen.

Goals are in demand but Brunner’s one shortened season in the NHL may be causing teams to pause on how much to pay up for him.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/18/brunners-agent-says-hell-play-in-the-nhl-this-year/

The problem for him was the fact that its a shortened season, if he was smart he would take bridge type deal for 1 year to establish what he is capable of throughout a full 82 game campaign.

Then he can cash in if the cap jumps up quite a bit next season, but regardless I am sure if he has a decent season teams would pony up for him

Wonder what kind of contract some of these forwards will have to settle for: Raymond, Brunner, Morrow, Grabovski, Prospal, Hejduk, Boyes,

Only 8 teams have 6 million or more in cap space.. Incl. PHX, NJD, FLA and NYI who all likely or do have imposed cap ceilings. Plus St.Louis who has to sign Pietroangelo. Narrowing it down to basically three teams who have much cap:

Buffalo with 10M but Hodgson unsigned, Ottawa with 11M but Cowan unsigned, and Colorado (who might have an imposed cap) with 10M.

I hope GMMG can snag one of those forwards (besides Raymond) on a decent 1-2 year deal.

Never said they should If u wanted me to elaborate u could of asked genius. They would be a good 3rd line for the Canucks and if that line gets hot at the right time we would be in good shape for the playoffs.

Archived