The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New Division Standing Predictions

Off_The_Schneid!

People like to point out the easy ride the Canucks have had in the NW Division and how much tougher it's going to get, but that applies to the entire division. If Edmonton or Calgary can play in a crapty division like the NW and still end up in the bottom 3rd, what's going to happen to them when they have to face Anaheim, San Jose, Phoenix and LA that much more?

Los Angeles

Anaheim

Vancouver

San Jose

Phoenix

Edmonton

Calgary

Los Angeles

Anaheim

Vancouver

Phoenix

Edmonton

San Jose

Calgary

I am predicting that one good team in the pacific will have a terrible season. It won't be the Kings and I think Torts will do well in Vancouver so that leaves Anaheim and San Jose. I think the Ducks will build off of their successful season last year and the Sharks will underperform.

Los Angeles

Anaheim

Vancouver

Phoenix

Edmonton

San Jose

Calgary

I am predicting that one good team in the pacific will have a terrible season. It won't be the Kings and I think Torts will do well in Vancouver so that leaves Anaheim and San Jose. I think the Ducks will build off of their successful season last year and the Sharks will underperform.

LA

Anaheim

Vancouver

San Jose

Phoenix

Edmonton

Calgary

LA is the team to beat in our division, and they haven't lost any significant players.

Ducks have Boudreau who is a great regular season coach as we've seen many times.

Canucks depend on how long it takes to adjust to Torts system.

Sharks and Coyotes battle for last spot, I think Sharks take it.

Oilers still not good enough after their top 6 to make it.

And the Flames are just terrible.

The state of California is scary right now. I would put LA #1 and then it gets tough. Of course, things go off the rails every year for someone, and for all we know either SJ or Anaheim could end up in the basement. Probably won't happen, but it could. No significant changes happened to any of the 'contenders' in the division, and based on that fact, on paper VAN is better than ANA and SJ, as they were last year. It's all about how they do with Torts' system and the division match-ups will be more important this year than any in recent memory. It's not a guarantee that the Canucks will even make the playoffs this year and the regular season will actually mean something again. Edmonton could challenge as well, and under Eakins (unproven, but highly regarded) anything could happen. I still say Edmonton's out, and if not they sneak in, but after LA 2-5 could really be a crap shoot. Mike Smith is a good goalie, but I don't have much stock in their chances. And Calgary is....Calgary.

LA

SJ

VAN

ANA

EDM

PHO

CGY

Most folks are massively underestimating how much standings management affected our results last year. The Canucks were one of the top 3 teams (and arguably the best) for even strength performance in a game and top 5 when the game was close. So how did we not do better? Sadly, the short answer is reffing.

Powerplays were how teams got go-ahead goals against Nucks most nights but that's normal for teams which are good 5 on 5 and poor on the PK. What wasn't normal was how good the Canucks were on the PK. They were 8th lowest in GA/60 minutes when shorthanded and 4th when measured in Chances Against. The only reason this didn't translate into results on the ice is because refs deliberately buried our team in PK opportunities. At pivotal times in games we got absolutely bent over by the refs, with the vast majority of calls going to our opponents.

League-topping performance can't overcome the politics going on behind the scenes in this corrupt league. California teams, along with PHX, are the leagues new babies when it comes to making money from their product. I expect LA to lead because they are a fundamentally good team, followed by a San Jose team bolstered by PPs like we saw last season. Then the Nucks, Anaheim (minus Ryan and possibly Selanne), Phoenix Edmonton and Calgary.

edit: if you want to take a look at these stats in greater detail, I got them from stats.hockeyanalysis.com in the Team Stats section.

LA

Anaheim

toss up between Vancouver and San Jose.

Both Vancouver and San Jose are reliant on the PP to win games for them. If Vancouver wants to advance, they are going to have to get better at scoring even strength goals. Maybe an injection of youth like Jensen or Gaunce will help in that department.

Archived