The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

These Are A Few Of My Favourite Things [List]

Monty

Thought it would be fun to start a thread of posting what you find absolutely great. Whether you list combination of your favourite hobbies, or books, movies, whatever! The goal is to share what you like to do, which may motivate someone on here to try out a new hobby.

NOTE: Do not put down posting in CDC as one of your hobbies, having sex, drinking, doing drugs, or watching hockey. Let's try to keep this somewhat serious.

For me (in no particular order):

1. Downhill skiing: Started skiing when I was 3. By the time I was around 11 or 12, I was starting to hit the black diamond courses. According to those I skied with (family, etc), had our family lived near the mountains, they believe I would have tried to turn it into a career (as much as you can). However, we lived in the prairies, and I ended up skiing about 3 weeks a year, we'd always take a yearly vacation at Christmas and Spring Break to Big White, Whistler/Blackcomb, or Colorado.

2. Mowing the lawn: I absolutely love sitting on my riding mower and spend about an half mowing my half acre lawn. This quickly vaulted up my list of favourite things to do.

3. Riding horses: I only just started doing this, but I never knew just how much fun riding a horse would be.

4. Taking my French Bulldog "Alice" to dog shows. My 2 year old Frenchie is only 1 point away from being a championship dog, at which point she will be bred. I will miss taking her to the shows.

5. Very lazy, but watching/critiquing movies. I absolutely love sitting down with my wife or my friends after watching a film and picking apart what we loved about it and what we found held the film back.

6. Halfway through university, I nearly dropped out to go to culinary arts school. I'm glad I didn't because I would have made no money and my stress would have been through the roof. However, I gain such a great amount of pleasure when I cook for people; whether it be entertaining a group, or just me and my wife.

What I would love to learn: Fencing. No fencing club around where I live, but I have always wanted to learn how to fence. Seems like a great workout, while still looking sophisticated.

Alright guys, lets hear what you love to do. Remember, let's get some dialogue going. The goal is to try and encourage people to branch out and try something new. The only way to do that is to explain why you love your hobby and why someone should try it out.

1. Hockey. Canucks hockey. Absolutely love watching it and getting mad at the TV when things don't go our way.

2. Hockey. Canucks hockey. Absolutely love getting ripped off when going to Rogers Arena, but If we win, I guess it was worth it.

i love watching movies....old and recent

i too, love riding my ride-em- mower...

hockey..canucks....used to coach..loved that

my family, what is left of it...

working with seniors to brighten their days.

i love my faith and how it makes me feel.

watching the history, discovery, military and space channels

having discusions with others that don't look to fire and trade away everybody after every loss

geneology and my family tree...i've got some back to the 600's,,,

i'm kind of quiet and shy but i do love people.

i loved working with young offenders, developmentally challenged adults and teaching sports to young people

now i love my peace and quiet...

Snowboarding is definately a big one for me. That moment where you stand at the top of the run and look down seeing how steep it is and then drop into it.

Cooking would be a big one for me. I made the mistake of going to culinary school. I spent a few years as a broke cook. Still paying for it now however I figure I've added years to my life in how much better I eat now.

Driving away on a road trip. When you just kick back, relax and let the stress of life go away.

Cuddling with my dog and watching a movie. Great feeling.

I am going to like this thread a lot OP :)

1. Watching astronomy and physics lectures and videos online: I love astronomy, but I'd accepted that my calculus wasn't good enough to excel in the field so now it's a relaxing pastime where I close my eyes and listen to smart people talk about the cosmos and multidimensional universes and antimatter. It's very enriching and humbling to be able to enjoy such concepts without worrying about grades

2. Hubble Space Telescope pictures and fluorescence microscopy of microbes: Just beautiful in every way. And the grand scale of space and the intricacy of the microscopic world blows me away every time

3. Food Network

4. Makeup: I don't wear a lot of it daily but that doesn't stop me from experimenting. I love just wandering around a MAC store or Sephora and getting broke. At least I look good doing it

5. Volunteering at the hospital with elderly patients: One of the most rewarding things in my life along with being a tutor

6. Movie soundtracks and classical music: makes me feel smart as I'm studying. Atmospheric music in general I guess

7. A Song of Ice and Fire

8. Pilates

9. Cats

10. Depressing movies. Mental turmoil is fascinating

11. VICE documentaries

12. High cheekbones and hourglass bodies.

13. Caffeine. Light roast coffee, espresso, mocha, latte, tea, all of it

14. Cuddling. Bad habit but I'll curl up next to anything that's warm and smells nice. I can't sleep at night without my cat or cuddle pillow. We can be best of friends if you are to cuddle and watching sober movies with me

I will think of some more shortly

I am going to like this thread a lot OP :)

1. Watching astronomy and physics lectures and videos online: I love astronomy, but I'd accepted that my calculus wasn't good enough to excel in the field so now it's a relaxing pastime where I close my eyes and listen to smart people talk about the cosmos and multidimensional universes and antimatter. It's very enriching and humbling to be able to enjoy such concepts without worrying about grades

2. Hubble Space Telescope pictures and fluorescence microscopy of microbes: Just beautiful in every way. And the grand scale of space and the intricacy of the microscopic world blows me away every time

3. Food Network

4. Makeup: I don't wear a lot of it daily but that doesn't stop me from experimenting. I love just wandering around a MAC store or Sephora and getting broke. At least I look good doing it

5. Volunteering at the hospital with elderly patients: One of the most rewarding things in my life along with being a tutor

6. Movie soundtracks and classical music: makes me feel smart as I'm studying. Atmospheric music in general I guess

7. A Song of Ice and Fire

8. Pilates

9. Cats

10. Depressing movies. Mental turmoil is fascinating

11. VICE documentaries

12. High cheekbones and hourglass bodies.

13. Caffeine. Light roast coffee, espresso, mocha, latte, tea, all of it

14. Cuddling. Bad habit but I'll curl up next to anything that's warm and smells nice. I can't sleep at night without my cat or cuddle pillow. We can be best of friends if you are to cuddle and watching sober movies with me

15. Creepypastas

I will think of some more shortly

While drinking, sex and hockey are the Holy Trinity in my life, I'll exclude them from this list.

1. Writing. Fiction, creative non-fiction, journalistic pieces. I've written for Cracked.com and was on staff at my university newspaper, but I've mostly just been writing stories for myself that I might try to get published whenever I have time.

2. Coffee. I've worked in coffee shops (frequent employers for those who are pursuing interest #1) for a few years and have found myself working at a really great roasting company. Plus, I'm pretty sure half of my blood is coffee at any given time. Temporary employment, yeah, but it's been really enjoyable.

3. Movies. I probably watch about a movie per day and would rarely rather do anything else. My tastes are pretty broad, but I like Jarmusch movies, the entire scope of Bill Murray's career (minus Garfield) and I'm digging Derek Cianfrance's stuff (Blue Valentine, Place Beyond the Pines). And horror movies. My favourite film is probably High Fidelity, though.

4. Eating. Self-explanatory.

5. The LA Dodgers.

Archived