The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Article)Botchford:Luongo's level of happiness isn't what matters, it's whether or not he's motivated

naslund.is.king

For all the morons that keep whining about a source. "When did Luongo ever request a trade, blah, blah, blah."

"I understand where he’s coming from. He requested a trade after the 2012 season. He anticipated he was going to be traded."

Poor Botchford....gettting too much hate on CDC...

(...he's earned all of it).

This particular article - actually appears as though Botchford is making a run at amateur journalism...

The only real issues I have with it... unsubstantiated claims about nixing a few deals to Toronto - and he's done this repeatedly - claimed Luo nixed a deal for Schenn - a claim he later retracted. He loves to tell stories as if he's been inside every meeting, a third party to all the calls with Toronto, etc (but his articles are always hopelessly devoid of credible sourcing/documenting his claims)... if there's something Botchford has established, it's that he's extremely lose with information - what he hasn't established - any real credibility to expect us to buy a word of it. He's a lazy journalist who's always jumping the gun.

The other part...."Luongo told people privately it didn't change much".... Again, for a guy who postures as a journalist, he certainly has no concept of what a usable source is, let alone where the boundaries of credibility lay/lie...

But, for a change, he's subsituted a few reasonable points (ie who cares how "happy" Luongo is) where he usually just published straight up amateurish, sensationalized scribbling, mixed in amongst the posturing-as-if-he-knows-what-he's-talking-about....

Yeah - was a bit surprised that Gilman let that one out of the bag - imo that is where he actually "tripped" - not a lot to be gained at this point by outing that.

But, on the other hand, a lot of people were using Luongo's postgame interview after the playoff loss to LA, prematurely, as evidence of a "trade request" - and that was every bit as moronic as denying he wanted out.

Yeah, early on it wasn't substantiated but later it became more or less common knowledge as the saga progressed. What got me is the Luongo ball huggers that would clog up every arguement with this point when that itself was not even really relevant to the actual discussion. This is exactly what my brother does when he knows he's losing an argument, argue semantics or some point losely related that does not allow you to move onto the argument itself.

Well some of us understand that Bettman is simply the voice of the owners. That's not to say he doesn't make recommendations, but if he actually did as he pleases (as many seem to believe) the owners would be more inclined to fire him than give him a raise and extension. He is after all an employee of the Board of Governors.

Got any substance? Feel free to qualify that weak claim that people are "irrationally" critical of Botchford - if there's a quality article of his that you'd like to post, or even a segment in one, it might carry a little more weight than the nothing you just posted.

You whiffed on the meaning of "Straw man".

I simply asked you to qualify your overzealous defense of Botchford - something you apparently also whiffed on. There's no shortage of criticisms of Botchford that are fairly well articulated on these boards - it's just that he's made such a monotonous cliche of himself that simple dismissals now seem to suffice.

You're mistaking being critical for "hate" (which is a "tiresome" embellishment itself) - and what you call 'jumping all over you' was simply a suggestion that you qualify what you said.

You evidently didn't read my posts if you missed why I didn't find the article particularly insightful - it's only a two page thread at this point so I can't be bothered to rehash - (although ironically, I did credit it with being a step up on his usual quick and easy scribblings).

Archived