The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Capitals sign Mikhail Grabovski

Ribiero is over-rated. Terrible defensive liability/lousy two-way player, very weak in the faceoff circle, and has gotten loads of situational and pp time with players like Ovechkin and Eriksson. Remarkable how he manages to consistently come up with such terrible underlying numbers. Here's last season in Washington, compared to Grabovski in 2011/12 (similar to his previous seasons when he wasn't getting 36% offensive zone starts...but better underlying numbers than Ribiero last year regardless).

http://www.behindthe...34 45 46 63 67#

http://www.behindthe...34 45 46 63 67#

Would take Grabovski at $3 million over Ribiero at 5.5 anyday - would take Grabovksi over Ribiero at the same cap hits for that matter.

Well Pineapples, Tippett will have to turn an apple into an orange for that to be the case.

I'd take Grabovski, who puts up 50-60 points, is capable of handling very strong competition, can win some faceoffs, and plays a 200 ft game,over the one trick pony - particularly now that his cap hit is just over half of Ribiero's - no brainer imo.

Toronto's losses are Washington and Ottawa's gains.

I said help his defensive game, not change his whole game.

And I still think that if a team already has plenty of good 2-way players, they would prefer to have a player like Ribeiro, especially if at the same cap hit as you suggested.

Though I do think that Grabovski should be able to help the caps out this year in ways Ribeiro couldn't.

Whoever brought up Kuznetsov, he'll be coming over in the Spring. I forget if it was McPhee or Kuzt but it was already said they ha e an agreement for him to come over after his khl season ends. So they could get a huge boost down the playoff stretch

Capitals ‘needed’ Grabovski, says Backstrom:

In the eyes of one player, Mikhail Grabovski is exactly who the Washington Capitals needed to acquire this off-season.

On Friday, the Capitals announced they had signed Grabovski to a one-year, $3 million deal.

“It’s great. I think we needed him,” Nicklas Backstrom told the Washington Post.

“He’s been really good in Toronto, I think, so we’re excited to have him come in. He’s a great player, he brings a lot of speed and skill. He can score goals too. He’s a smart centerman that hopefully will do a lot for this team.”

The 29-year-old center struggled this past season with the Toronto Maple Leafs, producing only nine goals and 16 points in 48 games.

He had eclipsed the 50-point plateau in each of the previous two seasons.

The Leafs used one of their compliance buyouts on Grabovski – who had four years remaining on his five-year deal with the Leafs, at an annual cap hit of $5.5 million – in early July prior to the opening of free agency.

Despite his struggles during the 2013 lockout-shortened campaign, he can still add a scoring punch to a Capitals team that surged late in the regular season and finished fourth in the league in goals-for, averaging 3.04 goals per game.

“Mikhail adds speed and offense to our lineup, and we are very pleased to have him sign with the Capitals,” said Capitals general manager George McPhee. “We believe he will be an excellent addition to our club.”

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/23/capitals-needed-grabovski-says-backstrom/

Archived