The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why trading Tanev now would be beneficial for us

CanucksFanMike

Hey guys,

First of all, I want to say that I am a big fan of Tanev and believe that he is very valuable to this team. His calmness with the puck is off the charts and he is still young with a lot of potential.

That said, trading him right now would make a lot of sense if you ask me. Here are a few points to consider:

1. Tanev has great value

Solid, young defensemen are very hard to come by these days. Tanev’s value is very high now that he has a contract and surely we could get back a pretty good return for him.

2. His relationship with management may have taken a hit as a result of this summer's negotiations

Tanev just went through a negotiation process that dragged out far too long and resulted only in a one year deal. Chances are, his agent’s relationship with the Canucks brass at this point isn’t all that great. I don’t think that Gillis would appreciate Tanev’s agent going out publicly and putting the blame squarely on MG for contract talks stalling and then going out trying to generate interest from Russia to get a bit of leverage. This will have an impact in his negotiations next year with the team which could get complicated real fast, especially if he has a good year on the ice as I will expand upon in my final point.

3. There is no space in our top 4 for Tanev

We also have to take into account that our top four is set for the foreseeable future. Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler, and Garrison all have NTCs and are all payed north of $4.5 M per. Tanev is clearly ready to step into the top 4 if not this year then next year, meaning he would be next in line for a big contract. Obviously Tanev wouldn’t want to play bottom pairing minutes when he should be in the top 4 and obviously the Canucks can’t afford to pay Tanev top 4 money unless they move one of Hammer, Juice, Eddie, or Garry which would be very hard given they all have NTCs.

4. We have multiple viable replacement candidates for Tanev

Another thing which makes Tanev expendable is that we have a very similar, young defenceman in Frank Corrado, who is also a right shot, that we need to get into the lineup. Plus, recently added UFA Yannik Weber could step into the lineup as a right shot as well. If we did trade Tanev, signing another right shot UFA would be a good thing for insurance.

5. Negotiations next year could get ugly and put us in a bad spot

My final point ties into my second one about contract negotiations and is probably the biggest reason why trading Tanev now would be beneficial for us. Next year will be Tanev’s fourth NHL season. That spells bad news. Why? Because that means he will have arbitration rights next summer. That potentially could lead to a bad situation for the Canucks especially if there is some tension between Tanev’s agent and management. Did you think the contract negotiations this year were painful? Next year would be even worse. He would have more leverage because of the threat of going to arbitration and if he plays well it would be a real possibility he is offer sheeted by other teams, not to mention that he could potentially get big offers from Russia like he did this year.

So, now that he has a contract his trade value is now back to what it was before. He has a lot of value as young defensemen like him are hard to come by. The fact is, Tanev isn’t likely to crack the top four any time soon which he won’t be happy about and we have Corrado who could come in and take his spot at RD on the 3rd pair. But, what scares me the most is the situation next summer with Tanev could get quite nasty for us since he has arbitration rights.

I think it would make a lot of sense to trade him.

My rant is done. :lol:

Our top 4 could easily be broken with an injury, or somebody playing terribly (perhaps Edler) and getting sent out during the season.

To be honest, I believe Canucks fans overestimate Tanev's worth. As of right now, you aren't going to get much for him unless you package him in a blockbuster deal. His value is going to be fairly low.

Plus, I don't think we should trade him until we see him play a full season, he really shows great potential.

We wouldn't get much for Tanev compare to what he's worth to our team...

plus if he has a good season and the cap ceiling goes up there's nothing stopping us from signing him to a 3 year 2-or-so mil deal that is fairly low-risk given what he brings to the table. At that price he's worth it as a defensively responsible 2nd pairing D-man who stabilizes an offensive-minded LHD or a great 3rd pairing guy.

We wouldn't get much for Tanev compare to what he's worth to our team...

plus if he has a good season and the cap ceiling goes up there's nothing stopping us from signing him to a 3 year 2-or-so mil deal that is fairly low-risk given what he brings to the table. At that price he's worth it as a defensively responsible 2nd pairing D-man who stabilizes an offensive-minded LHD or a great 3rd pairing guy.

I don't buy 2, 4 or 5....

They're only negotiations - there's not going to be lasting dramatics because of a mere contract negotiation.

There's room for Tanev - Edler needs a partner like Tanev - if they can develop chemistry, that could be a very effective pairing.

The only one way I'd be interested in entertaining the idea of dealing Tanev is if a player like Alex Petrovic could be landed in return - slightly younger, right on the verge of NHL ready, and a big, right handed defenseman with a huge shot and a mean streak. I think Petrovic has a lot of upside - or a larger deal for a player like Bogosian, but otherwise - if that type of player isn't the return, I'm personally not interested.

nah, i think people undervalue what tanev can bring. a mobile, steady, and calming presence who rarely makes mistakes in your top 6 is really not all as common as youd think. and when you have guys like bieksa and edler coughing up the puck, you have to have guys like hamhuis and tanev to help settle things down and clean up the errors.

my 2 cents on the op:

You say theres no room for Tanev in our top-6, but last time I checked Torts is the coach, and once he gets a whiff of casual Kev and brain fart Eddie, Tanev may very well soon find himself on the top pairing. I can see Bieksa willing to waive his NTC if he becomes a Ballard type player.

Weber is hardly a replacement, more of a MAG replacement/project type player who will likely be waived. And Corrado doesn't replace Tanev, because if you count our best defencemen: Edler, Garrison, Bieksa, Tanev and Corrado, that makes 6.

What kind of a raise do people expect him to get next year? If he plays on the bottom pairing for the whole season he will likely not get many points and thus will probably be signed for under 2M which is still very reasonable. If he does happen to out perform one of our top-4 guys then a big raise will be well deserved if we decide to keep him or his trade value will be even higher next year. win, win.

1.5 is a good deal for a bottom pairing dman so STOP WITH THE TANEV HATE PEOPLE!

as far as trading tanev goes, my feeling is that the canucks would like corrado to play the full year in Utica, and get the chance to play huge minutes, and in every situation. to do this, we need to have depth on the nhl roster. also it would be nice to have him as a depth option, rather than a necessity. the canucks dont have a huge crop of young dmen... no point in trading them at the moment.

hamhuis bieksa- its been a solid combo in the past, and juice can bring that edge that torts will be wanting more of. basically i see bieksa in the top 4 reguardless, but i dont like him as a partner for edler.

edler tanev - in order for edler to unleash his offensive and physical game, he needs a mobile safety net, which happens to be tanevs specialty.

alberts garrison - although the g spot has earned a top 4 gig, i also think he'll be getting much bigger minutes on special teams so a 3rd pair should help to not over use the guy. i really like this combo as a shutdown unit, especially against the newer divisional rivals. both can play either side, but j.garr on the right will open up the onetimer threat.

weber - cant really say much about the guy at the moment. hes undersized and has reportedly been brought in to be a PPQB. its very possible that he'll get the 6th spot over alberts, but considering who our new coaches are, i think theyll lean closer towards the much meaner and bigger andrew alberts.

Archived