The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why trading Tanev now would be beneficial for us

CanucksFanMike

Hey guys,

First of all, I want to say that I am a big fan of Tanev and believe that he is very valuable to this team. His calmness with the puck is off the charts and he is still young with a lot of potential.

That said, trading him right now would make a lot of sense if you ask me. Here are a few points to consider:

1. Tanev has great value

2. His relationship with management may have taken a hit as a result of this summer's negotiations

3. There is no space in our top 4 for Tanev

4. We have multiple viable replacement candidates for Tanev

5. Negotiations next year could get ugly and put us in a bad spot

I think it would make a lot of sense to trade him.

My rant is done. :lol:

People praise AHLberts, but dump on Tanev.

Yes, Tanev isn't as physical. But he's also not out of position trying to make the hit. Tanev is a steady defenseman who's only 23, and is just filling out, and is steadily improving.

Alberts is 32 and should be in his prime, but isn't responsible enough in his own zone.

PS: Hey OP it's sort of bad form to sign a player to a contract and then flip him right away. Maybe if near the trade deadline, things aren't working out, maybe then we can discuss moving him.

While I agree with 1, 2, and in theory 4. I disagree with 3 and 5 and here is why:

3. While we do have a "top 4" set this does not mean that those 4 partner well together. Yes Garrison has managed to transition to the right with Hamhuis (and Hamhuis only) he is much better on the left, and a Bieksa/Edler pairings does not work, and probably will not work.

Top 4 to me really means which 4 D play the most minutes and what is important is having a D partner for Edler/Garrison that plays on the right side for even strength minutes, if you take out PP time that Edler and Garrison will see this year, Tanev and Corrado/Weber will play less minutes per game putting them in "bottom pairing minutes" which means even though we have a top 4 that will play the most minutes we will have two reliable RH guys that can handle the even strength minutes and keep our top 4 on their natural side, thus creating balance.

Lets say on average there are 6 PP and PK minutes per game for example:

Edler: 23 MIN TOI 18ES 2PK 3PP

Hamhuis: 22 MIN TOI 17ES 2PK 2PP

Bieksa: 22 MIN TOI 17ES 2PK 2PP

Garrison 22 MIN TOI 16 ES 2PK 4PP

Tanev: 17 MIN TOI 15 ES 2PK

Corrado 13 MIN TOI 10ES 2PK 1PP

Yes these are exact numbers but it is just for sake of argument. Hopefully Hammer and Juice are linked up again and playing very similar numbers like I have above making them a non factor.

In this scenario Edler plays 20 ES/PK minutes, and Garrison plays 18 ES/PK minutes; these are the minutes where having a RH D to stabilize a pairing are more important as PP tends to have a less standard configuration.

In this same scenario Tanev and Corrado play 29 total ES/PK minutes where they can be paired with Edler/Garrison, amounting to more than 75% of their ES/PK time, while there is still additional playing time for them where they would have to be partnered together (roughly 9 minutes total or 4.5m of actual game time) that is only 2-3 shifts a period where Edler and Garrison have no RHD partner, and in those minutes at least Garrison can competently play on the right for a short period of time.

Hope you like my reasoning.

As for #5. Defensive D very rarely get a huge raise in salary arbitration. Something Tanev is eligible for next season when his new contract is up.

From an outside opinion, there is no reason to move him. He just signed a pretty low risk contract to the team, is a solid addition to your defense, and still has room to grow. Why move him now?

OP, you say he is a solid young defenseman and those are hard to come by, but then say Canucks already have replaceable parts for him. They cant be too hard to come by then if you've already got a bunch stored up in the system.

While you are right, they are hard to come by....29 other teams all think they've already got a few solid young defensemen in thier prospect pool, or on thier roster. We all think we already have a Chris Tanev in our minds. So why would we trade for one?

What do you really think the Canucks will get for him at this in time? He isnt a stud young defenseman or a great young defenseman....he's solid, with good potential. A piece all teams think they have. The Canucks might get a draft pick. Then what....hope and pray that pick turns into a solid young defenseman? Now where did that really get you?

Just hang on to him, he helps your team and is worth more to you then he is to us.

Like oldnews said, just because negotiations took a bit longer than expected, it doesn't mean that there is now all this animosity between the two parties.

Players, agents and GMs all know that this is a business and both sides are always going to try and do what's in their best interest financially.

The Tanev camp was obviously okay with a one-year deal because it gives them more leverage in negotiations next season, when Tanev has arbitration rights. The Canucks are okay with it, because arbitration will only help Tanev if he plays well this season.

A win-win for both sides, IMO.

Why trading Tanev could damage this team

• He's more valuable to us than a single trade piece

• We apparently "fought to sign him" now we will trade him?

• He wants to be here but we're just going to throw him away

• Free Agents will shy away from us

• Our youth will see the recurring theme and realize they're just trade bait anyways

• Tanev...do we really need him?

Tanev is a cheap asset, with a great contract given how he can play, and that is really important under the salary cap system.

I wouldn't trade him unless someone is offering an overpayment.

Replacing his talent at the same price is not easy, and you can never have too many defencemen as we've seen with injuries in the past.

A very well thought out post and, of course, these are all opinions. But mine is, honestly, that Tanev is showing signs of being a player you can count on to only get better and become a real backbone on defense. I say you focus on what you've got vs what you could get and make use of it. The calm composure he demonstrates and his hockey sense and ability to see the ice and position himself accordingly is that of a veteran's...yet he's a young guy who can only likely improve over time.

I say he's a keeper.

I don't think you can necessarily compare Tanev to corrado or weber...Corrado isn't proven as a NHL defenseman and weber is hardly as good as Tanev. Right now our defense is stable throughout plus we have depth that can fill in spots when our regulars get injured. Trading Tanev without getting something equivalent in return is kinda risky, esp when playoff comes

How is he more valuable than what we'd get in return? Who do you think he could fetch? Wiercioch or someone similar would a be a stretch. Maybe a third round pick? Not worth it IMO, he's a very good rental option for us right now, with an option to buy, far more valuable than the peanuts we would get in return.

Players take a dim view of teams that trade guys that have just signed a contract. This action would put MG and the team in a bad light.

Besides, Tanev is (currently) the best of our young dmen. He may not be physical or offensive (at the moment), but his calmness and positional play is very reliable. He can eat up respectable minutes and is a natural rt side dman. We all know it takes longer for dmen to develop to their potential, so, at 23yrs old, Chris is more than likely going to improve.

Horrible thread. Tanev isn't going anywhere. MG and the rest of the team love this guy and will resign him next year. The salary cap will climb back to 70+ mill leaving MG with plenty to offer him next year. If he has another solid year and steps up his play to the next level, MG will lock him up for 4-5 years.Thread over.

Archived