The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why trading Tanev now would be beneficial for us

CanucksFanMike

I believe that Chris Tanev has the potential to be our top 4. 1) he's young with lots of learning to go 2) Fast learner, hard worker 3) he's a right hand shot, we need a defensive right handed player who can also improve his offensive skills. He gets better every year, his plus minus is really good for a young d like him. Correct me if I'm wrong

I think it would be a huge mistake to trade Tanev. Not only is he by far the most consistent d-man the Canucks have had the last couple of seasons, I also think there is a massive amount of potential to develop his offensive game/strength/speed. I also don't think his trade value is as high as we want it to be.

(newbie post FTW)

The ways I can see him being moved are if a solid trade offer comes in for him, if he's traded as part of a package, or if he ends up wanting too much money next season.

While I don't want him to be traded, you make a good point with #3. We'd really have to move one of the current top 4 d-men if Tanev wants more than $2.5-$3 million or so

I believe that Chris Tanev has the potential to be our top 4. 1) he's young with lots of learning to go 2) Fast learner, hard worker 3) he's a right hand shot, we need a defensive right handed player who can also improve his offensive skills. He gets better every year, his plus minus is really good for a young d like him. Correct me if I'm wrong

Seriously ? Go get yourself a cup of coffee and come back and read your thread. Seriously ! Tanev is one of the most promising young defensive defense man in the league and our defense is in major need of solid calm play in it's own end. If only the rest of our veteran d core could have the poise this young man has shown in the games he has played for us. We dont need prospects we need top six scoring and Tanev is not that good . Yet .

I like Tanev but I disagree with people saying he is one of the most promising... etc... lol. He is calm and solid defensively. But he isn't physical nor an offensive juggernaut.

At his best I think he will be a compliment to a scorer. Is that going to happen soon? I'm not sure. But he wasn't ready for top line minutes with Edler last season.

Even in the AHL he didn't record a lot of points. Virtually no goals. His performance was similar to the previous year. Stats aren't everything but there's a reason we still record them.

I just think his ceiling is a few feet short of what some people are hoping for.

Trade him? No. We won't get a good deal because he still has things to prove. And if he proves them elsewhere, we'll be pissed.

I think it would be a huge mistake to trade Tanev. Not only is he by far the most consistent d-man the Canucks have had the last couple of seasons, I also think there is a massive amount of potential to develop his offensive game/strength/speed. I also don't think his trade value is as high as we want it to be.

(newbie post FTW)

OP obviously missed the stretch last season where we ran out of right-handed defenders.

Also, Corrado looked good, but guys his age can stumble easily. Don't consider him a lock, let alone a guy ready to step into the top-4 when we have an injury.

It would be a terrible idea to trade him right now. He has shown plenty of potential but hasn't lived up to any of it yet. He is worth peanuts right now. If we give him a year or two he will be worth much more. Not to mention the need for him as depth for injuries and him being one of our only RHDs.

Tanev - MEH.

other teams - Who's Tanev? - remember that guy you burned in the second - oh yeah, that guy - wasn't his name Alberts.

Alberts? - that guy from the Crappy Tire commercials? yeah, that's the guy.

Tanev won't get the playing time to show any offensive potential; especially if he's covering for Weber or Alberts.

Where the hell is O-Bryne? Why hasn't he signed yet?

Archived