The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why trading Tanev now would be beneficial for us

CanucksFanMike

That doesn't mean he was consistent. He, like many others on the team, had a rather rocky start to the season. Playing a good portion of the season on right point behind the Sedins helped his numbers along. He was better overall when eventually moved back to his natural left side with Garrison on his right. Garrison was probably our best d-man in the last half of the season.

Low team FO % impacted all aspects of the game for Vancouver last year. Battling to recover the puck affected some players more than others certainly did with the Twins. When Kesler got back into the game the change was very noticeable. Mannie still has not been replaced in the circle. We will see what comes out of camp.

Hey guys,

First of all, I want to say that I am a big fan of Tanev and believe that he is very valuable to this team. His calmness with the puck is off the charts and he is still young with a lot of potential.

That said, trading him right now would make a lot of sense if you ask me. Here are a few points to consider:

1. Tanev has great value

Solid, young defensemen are very hard to come by these days. Tanev’s value is very high now that he has a contract and surely we could get back a pretty good return for him.

2. His relationship with management may have taken a hit as a result of this summer's negotiations

Tanev just went through a negotiation process that dragged out far too long and resulted only in a one year deal. Chances are, his agent’s relationship with the Canucks brass at this point isn’t all that great. I don’t think that Gillis would appreciate Tanev’s agent going out publicly and putting the blame squarely on MG for contract talks stalling and then going out trying to generate interest from Russia to get a bit of leverage. This will have an impact in his negotiations next year with the team which could get complicated real fast, especially if he has a good year on the ice as I will expand upon in my final point.

3. There is no space in our top 4 for Tanev

We also have to take into account that our top four is set for the foreseeable future. Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler, and Garrison all have NTCs and are all payed north of $4.5 M per. Tanev is clearly ready to step into the top 4 if not this year then next year, meaning he would be next in line for a big contract. Obviously Tanev wouldn’t want to play bottom pairing minutes when he should be in the top 4 and obviously the Canucks can’t afford to pay Tanev top 4 money unless they move one of Hammer, Juice, Eddie, or Garry which would be very hard given they all have NTCs.

4. We have multiple viable replacement candidates for Tanev

Another thing which makes Tanev expendable is that we have a very similar, young defenceman in Frank Corrado, who is also a right shot, that we need to get into the lineup. Plus, recently added UFA Yannik Weber could step into the lineup as a right shot as well. If we did trade Tanev, signing another right shot UFA would be a good thing for insurance.

5. Negotiations next year could get ugly and put us in a bad spot

My final point ties into my second one about contract negotiations and is probably the biggest reason why trading Tanev now would be beneficial for us. Next year will be Tanev’s fourth NHL season. That spells bad news. Why? Because that means he will have arbitration rights next summer. That potentially could lead to a bad situation for the Canucks especially if there is some tension between Tanev’s agent and management. Did you think the contract negotiations this year were painful? Next year would be even worse. He would have more leverage because of the threat of going to arbitration and if he plays well it would be a real possibility he is offer sheeted by other teams, not to mention that he could potentially get big offers from Russia like he did this year.

So, now that he has a contract his trade value is now back to what it was before. He has a lot of value as young defensemen like him are hard to come by. The fact is, Tanev isn’t likely to crack the top four any time soon which he won’t be happy about and we have Corrado who could come in and take his spot at RD on the 3rd pair. But, what scares me the most is the situation next summer with Tanev could get quite nasty for us since he has arbitration rights.

I think it would make a lot of sense to trade him.

My rant is done. :lol:

Hey guys,

First of all, I want to say that I am a big fan of Tanev and believe that he is very valuable to this team. His calmness with the puck is off the charts and he is still young with a lot of potential.

That said, trading him right now would make a lot of sense if you ask me. Here are a few points to consider:

1. Tanev has great value

Solid, young defensemen are very hard to come by these days. Tanev’s value is very high now that he has a contract and surely we could get back a pretty good return for him.

2. His relationship with management may have taken a hit as a result of this summer's negotiations

Tanev just went through a negotiation process that dragged out far too long and resulted only in a one year deal. Chances are, his agent’s relationship with the Canucks brass at this point isn’t all that great. I don’t think that Gillis would appreciate Tanev’s agent going out publicly and putting the blame squarely on MG for contract talks stalling and then going out trying to generate interest from Russia to get a bit of leverage. This will have an impact in his negotiations next year with the team which could get complicated real fast, especially if he has a good year on the ice as I will expand upon in my final point.

3. There is no space in our top 4 for Tanev

We also have to take into account that our top four is set for the foreseeable future. Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler, and Garrison all have NTCs and are all payed north of $4.5 M per. Tanev is clearly ready to step into the top 4 if not this year then next year, meaning he would be next in line for a big contract. Obviously Tanev wouldn’t want to play bottom pairing minutes when he should be in the top 4 and obviously the Canucks can’t afford to pay Tanev top 4 money unless they move one of Hammer, Juice, Eddie, or Garry which would be very hard given they all have NTCs.

4. We have multiple viable replacement candidates for Tanev

Another thing which makes Tanev expendable is that we have a very similar, young defenceman in Frank Corrado, who is also a right shot, that we need to get into the lineup. Plus, recently added UFA Yannik Weber could step into the lineup as a right shot as well. If we did trade Tanev, signing another right shot UFA would be a good thing for insurance.

5. Negotiations next year could get ugly and put us in a bad spot

My final point ties into my second one about contract negotiations and is probably the biggest reason why trading Tanev now would be beneficial for us. Next year will be Tanev’s fourth NHL season. That spells bad news. Why? Because that means he will have arbitration rights next summer. That potentially could lead to a bad situation for the Canucks especially if there is some tension between Tanev’s agent and management. Did you think the contract negotiations this year were painful? Next year would be even worse. He would have more leverage because of the threat of going to arbitration and if he plays well it would be a real possibility he is offer sheeted by other teams, not to mention that he could potentially get big offers from Russia like he did this year.

So, now that he has a contract his trade value is now back to what it was before. He has a lot of value as young defensemen like him are hard to come by. The fact is, Tanev isn’t likely to crack the top four any time soon which he won’t be happy about and we have Corrado who could come in and take his spot at RD on the 3rd pair. But, what scares me the most is the situation next summer with Tanev could get quite nasty for us since he has arbitration rights.

I think it would make a lot of sense to trade him.

My rant is done. :lol:

I see people consistently rating Tanev's offensive potential much lower than I do.

He doesn't have a plus shot but he moves the puck efficiently out of the zone which will lead to more 2nd assists as he gets acclimated better. We know he isn't afraid to take a hit to make a play either.

He is actually pretty good on the pinch too and can distribute the puck well enough. I think he will look much faster on the ice this year, in both his skating and decision making.

I'm expecting a sizeable jump in point production this year. 4G 16A 20P would be my over/under.

We need young guys like Tanev to make a deep playoff run. Now that he's got some more games under his belt and been with the boys for a while now Im pretty sure he feels accepted and comfortable with the team thus making him more confident.

Look at guys like Voynov and Leddy and their roles on their team

Yeah he's not as good as those guys today but with what I just said he can and will which will benefit our back end

I would probably wait 1-3 years till he gets noticed and his trade value increases, then trade him (if we were going to). I have no bias in this situation but if we could draft a couple more young RDs or sign them (like Tanev) maybe he can become expandable and we can package him with Schroeder. That could bring us a top 6 young, skilled winger like E.Kane, Galchenyuk, P.Sharp, Stepan. This only happens if Schroeder becomes a good playmaker in the next 1-3 years, Tanev becomes a top 4 defensemen.

Getting rid of Tanev in the end would just be another one of our regrettable losses. The kid shows a lot of heart out on the ice for the amount of experience he's had. I truly believe he could become an elite defenseman in given time.

Chris Tanev is a good D man but his trade value is very low.

He has 2 goals , 8 assists in 92 games - hardly Norris numbers. He is not an offensive defenseman and never has been.

He weighs in at 185 lb. The current trend in the NHL is for Dmen to be 200 and over. Small Dmen have value only if they quarterback the power play which Tanev does not and has shown no sign of becoming one.

He doesn't hit. He is probably the least physical of our current Dmen.

So what does he do? He plays a very simply stay at home game and makes good decisions under pressure. This is a good attribute but doesn't give him a whole lot of value in a trade.

The Canucks would be far better to hold on to him.

Archived