The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kesler on the top line next season?

Angry Goose

Wasn't there some talk about Kesler playing on the 3rd line? But if Torts intends to keep him with Burr then that is out. No chance in hell they both play on 3rd.

Neither Schroeder or Kesler belong on a checking line so one will have to move to wing.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Schroeder - Kesler - Burrows

Booth - Gaunce - Hansen

Higgins - Richardson - Weise

Kesler will take favourable face-offs no matter what position he plays.

Booth and Schroeder are interchangeable at this point. They will both get opportunities for top 6 minutes and somebody will step up.

Years ago many centre ice men were small but very quick and were able to cope reasonably well against other centres in the face-off circle and one-on-one battles. In todays NHL virtually all centres are on the big side so undersized centres would struggle. Small wingers can survive with their low centre of gravity provided they are strong enough in the lower body (Martin St.Louis is a classic example).

Therefore I am of the opinion that Schroeder's only chance at being a regular NHL player is to switch to wing. He'll not survive as a centre. Having him as a 3rd. line winger might add scoring to that line, since his defensive coverage is reasonable.

We'd have no one to anchor the second line. We already have problems with secondary scoring, as well as the Sedins getting shutdown in the playoffs because they are the only line that people need to put their top D against. It would make it so Kesler couldn't play any kind of shutdown role at all, as well. All around I think its a terrible idea.

^^Henrik on the 2nd line :lol:

Don't laugh; a line with Kesler, a physical challenge who draws match ups already, Danny and virtually anyone is going to draw the oppositions best defenders.

Then Hank is going to absolutely carve up secondary match ups.

More likely that this would happen in special situations more often. Trailing third period/end of a game.

I would think the opposite?

We have always had to shelter the Twins/Burr with offensive shifts. Yes just as much or more because they're good at it as because it's a less than imposing physical line. Nonetheless you can stack your match ups to play against them.

So we break them up, particularly on the road so opposing coaches have to line juggle to keep up with us. Then play the Twins/Burr in the 3rd period situations when we need a goal (and they'll play their top defensive pairing anyway)...

We'd have no one to anchor the second line. We already have problems with secondary scoring, as well as the Sedins getting shutdown in the playoffs because they are the only line that people need to put their top D against. It would make it so Kesler couldn't play any kind of shutdown role at all, as well. All around I think its a terrible idea.

The idea definitely hinges on someone being able to step up and play good second line minutes and without it the idea I agree is worthless. Maybe Schroeder steps up? I think with him and Burrows and maybe even Higgins you would have a defensively sound line.

And you're right, Kesler has traditionally been viewed as the teams top shutdown centre. My intuition is that like Tortorella says, even the Sedins have to play a complete 2 way game. I don't think they're are that far off, but with Kesler they would have that tenacious 2 way player that could even strengthen their play moreso. And maybe with Kesler some good, new things happen that we havn't seen yet with Burrows/Kassian and the variety of other wingers they have had. Or maybe break the Sedins up for 5 on 5 play like others have mentioned? Worth a shot if it works right?

The strength of the Canucks is that they are fairly balanced throughout the roster. Maybe Tortorella experiments a bit with it- I dont know? I'd like to see some new things at least given a chance and it might inject some new energy into the Canucks game.

This is how I see the top 9 starting out:

Daniel/Henrik/Kassian

Burrows/Schroeder/Booth

Higgins/Kesler/Hansen

I think that's close. But can Burr have success on the LW? He has learned to play the right side along the boards and that's where he should stay. Booth is a LW and with his limited time here, should stay on his best side.

I kind of like the idea of Kes on the third line. He can make up the points on the first PP unit.

I would go..

sedin - sedin - kassian

booth - schroeder - burrows

gaunce - kesler - hansen

higgins - richardson - weise

PP unit 1 : sedin - sedin- kesler, edler - garrison

PP unit 2 : burrows - schroeder - hansen/gaunce, bieksa - hamhuis

The idea definitely hinges on someone being able to step up and play good second line minutes and without it the idea I agree is worthless. Maybe Schroeder steps up? I think with him and Burrows and maybe even Higgins you would have a defensively sound line.

And you're right, Kesler has traditionally been viewed as the teams top shutdown centre. My intuition is that like Tortorella says, even the Sedins have to play a complete 2 way game. I don't think they're are that far off, but with Kesler they would have that tenacious 2 way player that could even strengthen their play moreso. And maybe with Kesler some good, new things happen that we havn't seen yet with Burrows/Kassian and the variety of other wingers they have had. Or maybe break the Sedins up for 5 on 5 play like others have mentioned? Worth a shot if it works right?

The strength of the Canucks is that they are fairly balanced throughout the roster. Maybe Tortorella experiments a bit with it- I dont know? I'd like to see some new things at least given a chance and it might inject some new energy into the Canucks game.

If Schroeder was able to hold down the second line center position, it would be good. I think Kesler and the Sedins have some Synergy from playing on the PP so much together.

This is how I see the top 9 starting out:

Daniel/Henrik/Kassian

Burrows/Schroeder/Booth

Higgins/Kesler/Hansen

Kesler on the third line lol

IF Kesler was moved up with the Sedins, I think he'd be the winger, not Henrik.

Yep.

Actually, I think it might work well. Sedins need the puck to do their magic and having Kes on the wing (RHS) means they can alternate taking faceoffs -- this line will win a lot of faceoffs and Kes has finish ability not worse than Burrows so will score good amount of goals. Although, we would need a second line center... hopefully Schroeder is ready as a 2C and one of Gaunce, Horvat, and Lain is ready to take on either 3C or 4C role.

Yep.

Actually, I think it might work well. Sedins need the puck to do their magic and having Kes on the wing (RHS) means they can alternate taking faceoffs -- this line will win a lot of faceoffs and Kes has finish ability not worse than Burrows so will score good amount of goals. Although, we would need a second line center... hopefully Schroeder is ready as a 2C and one of Gaunce, Horvat, and Lain is ready to take on either 3C or 4C role.

We would be a better team with ballanced lines and kess on the third rather then stacking one line. We are already too much of a one line team we don't need to go more in that direction.

Years ago many centre ice men were small but very quick and were able to cope reasonably well against other centres in the face-off circle and one-on-one battles. In todays NHL virtually all centres are on the big side so undersized centres would struggle. Small wingers can survive with their low centre of gravity provided they are strong enough in the lower body (Martin St.Louis is a classic example).

Therefore I am of the opinion that Schroeder's only chance at being a regular NHL player is to switch to wing. He'll not survive as a centre. Having him as a 3rd. line winger might add scoring to that line, since his defensive coverage is reasonable.

Good observation. But I think we should still give him a shot at the center position for the first 10~15 games or so. If your point proves correct, it's not too late to move him to wing as there are still 60 games left for him to adapt to playing on the wing.

Yep.

If Torts does stack the top line for certain games (chance to get out of a slump, chance to clinch the division/presidents trophy, chance to advance to a higher round etc.) I think this could be the ideal line up

Sedin - Sedin - Kesler

Burrows - Schroeder - Kassian

Higgins - Gaunce - Hansen

Booth - Santorelli - Richardson

We would be a better team with ballanced lines and kess on the third rather then stacking one line. We are already too much of a one line team we don't need to go more in that direction.

I agree but at least we will have one real strong line like we did with Nazzy-Mo-Bert. it definitely will be exciting to watch. And who knows if Schroeder can handle the second line center role or not? If he does, I think loading up on one line will be fine. It's not like the second line will suck so bad. It will still have two of Burrows, Higgins, Booth, and Kassian.

Archived