The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will the Toronto Maple Leafs make the playoffs this coming season?

I'm interested to see some thoughtful discussion on this topic. With the way the new divisions are aligned I think there is a strong possibility they could miss the playoffs but will likely end up with one of the two wild card positions in the East.

In the Maple Leaf's division I believe Boston, Detroit, Ottawa, and Montreal all have a realistic chance at finishing with more points than Toronto. This would mean Toronto would need more points than both Florida and Tampa Bay as well as all the non playoff teams in the other Eastern Division just to secure a playoff spot (the last wild card spot).

The Leafs looked like they took a major step forward last year but it was on the backs of many players who overachieved (e.g. Kadri, Lupul). Can their young players repeat? How well do Dion Phaneuf and Phil Kessel play (both pending UFAs)?

I'm rooting for the Leafs to miss the playoffs because despite liking a lot of their players (JVR, Lupul, etc.) I was not a fan of the way Burke was dismissed. Missing the playoffs this year would be completely unacceptable to the fan base, media, and ownership but considering that the ownership just gave Nonis a five year extension it would put them in a difficult bind.

What do you guys think?

yes, even though everybody loves to hate the leafs, they have great d-core and a solid group of forwards. the tandem of reimer and bernier should be interesting as well. the only way i see them making it is through the wild card slot. i believe kadri (if re-signed) and gardiner will have another great year and lupul and kessel with continue to perform well.

Yes. They traded for one of the best 3Cs in the NHL while only giving up picks, signed a top six forward, and got a potential starting goalie for very good value.

Clarkson >> Frattin

Bolland > McClement

Bernier >> Scrivens

They're a better team than last year IMO

Replaced McCarther with Clarkson and Grabovski with Bolland. With Kadri, they've got some of the best center depth in the league (Kadri, Bozak, Bolland). A very big, physical bunch of power forwards up front.

However their defence is thin, especially without Franson signed. O'Byrne is still a UFA and they probably don't have money to sign him along with Franson and Kadri so expect to see Reilly come in.

Their goalies could go either way. A young tandem, could have great success like they did last season or bomb out, Bernier is not starting material just yet.

They should finish around 5th in the conference.

Like obviously, the wildcard is Syria. If Obama starts a war in Syria, & American thuggery continues to envelope the planet unabated, then yes, the Fleas will bully their way in to fight in spring. This terrorizing, pre-emptively violent style will permeate into our exciting sport, where every game becomes a death-match! Obama is Bush is bettman; Daley rhymes with Cheney!

No time to check, sorry if this comment has already been made...

Archived