The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Another gang raping in India

RAMBUTANS

IMO these incidents aren't a big deal considering India's population. Same goes for China. Hell this happens in every country...not everyone reports rape for personal reasons (whatever it is). It's sad but with a billion people sometimes things happen.

I realize that this is a witless post but gang-rape isn't going to stop. You can only educate so much...

I don't really care about what you guys think but reality is that these types of incidents will always happen. Educating people helps but it's not going to solve anything. Women being objectified doesn't help either.

You do realize that women that are most in danger are not the ones who have the financial luxury and time to decide where to want to spend their summer soul searching but the ones that are poor, in the slums and rural areas, that will never get the press on their cases like a journalist or middle class university student will when they get raped?

India, like Mexico, has its own little bubble that's clean enough to expose to tourists but most of the people that are affected are ones you will probably never hear of, and neither will the middle class Indian.

To answer the question, the odds of this incident, which happened in a deserted textiles plant, affecting visits by women to the Taj Majal, the most popular tourist destination in India, are probably quite low.

Meanwhile, it looks like the criminals are being brought to justice. May they get what's coming to them.

IMO these incidents aren't a big deal considering India's population. Same goes for China. Hell this happens in every country...not everyone reports rape for personal reasons (whatever it is). It's sad but with a billion people sometimes things happen.

I realize that this is a witless post but gang-rape isn't going to stop. You can only educate so much...

I don't really care about what you guys think but reality is that these types of incidents will always happen. Educating people helps but it's not going to solve anything. Women being objectified doesn't help either.

Archived