The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How will John Tortorella do in Vancouver?

WHFproductions

Vcr has proven over the last few years they are generally an above average competitive team I think it's a fairly small change needed to take the next step. JT will give a fresh look at what each player provides to the team and small changes can have profound effect. It might be some things as small as ice time allocation but JT has a better than fair chance IMO to make that small change. Luongo should have a better record this year as an example, because of a change in emphasis to defensive play. A different look on the PP which has been brutal for a few seasons would have a big effect, ditto the PK with the Sedins taking a turn. Small change = big effect

I'm learning not to do this....try to predict. But he's an experienced coach who's had success and knows what's needed. It's really about how guys respond to him, and I like him and think that this will be a positive.

Was a fan of AV's....don't think he was a "problem", but think it had grown stale and ineffective. So a change was in order and I embrace it. I really loved Torts' presser when he was signed here as it sounded like he isn't going to try to come in and "own" the team....that he respects that there are veteran players here who know what to do and his job is to ensure he puts the right players on the ice in the right situations. That he feels he has a good roster and that will be his focus - in utilizing it properly. Looking forward to it!

He'll be here for 6 seasons;

13/14- 2nd round exit. Torts is definitely smoother but still same old Torts.

14/15- 2nd round exit. Torts loosening up.

15/16- 3rd round exit. Gets much tighter this year, people realize tighter Torts is better.

16/17- 2nd round exit. Torts too tight. (he just cant get it right)

17/18- Miss playoffs. People questioning Torts in Vancouver

18/19- Swept in first round. Fired within the week.

Weigh the positives of a new set of coaches and the attention they will command from the players vs. the negatives that the players have to accept.

The Canucks under AV were treated like men that held their own counsel.That has ended and these guys will have a coach that is in their face.

Some will accept it and some will despise it.Short term energy positive with too many known negatives for positive longevity.

'86-'87 1st year ACHL Head Coach - Won Championship

'95-'96 1st year AHL Head Coach - Won Championship

'03-'04 3rd year NHL Head Coach - Won Championship

He was also the most successful Rangers coach during the Sather Gong Show regime and that's saying something.

Add in a few years under head coaches John Muckler, Rick Dudley and Jim Schoenfeld and you have a pretty impressive resume, as impressive as any coach in Canucks history.

I think he'll do well and be a welcome change. The team needed a new look and way to easy to shutdown. I liked AV but he had his cons and was past due. Im excited to see what Sully and Gully can do as well. I liked what Torts said about being harder to play against and being playoff ready. The last few playoffs seemed like there was no direction or coaching at all.

A coach can only go so far as the players he's given. Just because you sign high priced UFA's doesn't make you a "team".

I highly doubt Scotty Bowman could have helped the Canucks to win a cup during the WCE days, because there wasn't enough depth.

The players need a firm hand with the Canucks. Having Torts will either be amazing or a train wreck. Watching the Stanley Cup finals I admired Quenneville. He started the finals trying to match Boston's style. He saw that wasn't working and changed tactics to a more north-south game driving for the net. Boston couldn't stop them. That's what great coaches do. They improvise, adapt, overcome.

After winning exactly one playoff game and being eliminated in the first round the last two years, the only way he could do worse is by not making the playoffs.

Don't think that'll happen, but with the bar reset to being pretty low and with essentially the same roster, I guess getting to the second round will be considered a success.

Archived