The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Flat tires

PowerIce

Where's the worst spot you've ever recieved a flat, story required!

I've had a couple flats, most recently this morning waking up to one. The CEO of the company happened to join us this week working over in Saint Paul, AB and it definitely isn't making me look too good.

Currently sitting at fountain tire -.-

I live in windsor. being a border city we do a lot of our grocery shopping in Detroit. my girlfriend and I were driving back on I75 (huge busy highway) something black appeared on the road. there were cars in front of us so I had enough time to say "don't hit that" but my gf didn't have time to miss the object. everything seemed ok until we were heading around a bend 10 mins later her cars started going out of control. I took the wheel and forced it to the side. I had to change the right rear on the traffic side in a country full of assholes who don't have the courtesy to move over. it wasn't pouring rain at the time but it was spitting a bit.

I was just glad I didn't die ffs

I live in windsor. being a border city we do a lot of our grocery shopping in Detroit. my girlfriend and I were driving back on I75 (huge busy highway) something black appeared on the road. there were cars in front of us so I had enough time to say "don't hit that" but my gf didn't have time to miss the object. everything seemed ok until we were heading around a bend 10 mins later her cars started going out of control. I took the wheel and forced it to the side. I had to change the right rear on the traffic side in a country full of assholes who don't have the courtesy to move over. it wasn't pouring rain at the time but it was spitting a bit.

I was just glad I didn't die ffs

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Game 7 Canucks vs Crackhawks

Deb was stuck with having to drive someone out to Surrey after work. Was worried - could not miss the game or she'd shrivel up and die.

Drove Indianapolis Speedway style on the way out there...heard a thump as I arrived at the destination, coming from what we thought was the rear passenger side. Of course, being rocket scientists, we checked only that side. Nope, nothing.

I was in the car alone traveling home along River Road in Delta. About to pass a semi doing 920 and, as I overtook him, my tire blew. Right beside the Delta Funeral Home. Game was starting in 20 minutes.

Being a rocket scientist, I have no use for a cell phone. As one leg of the Makethegame or I'll Dieathalon, I sprinted to the nearest establishment - a Quiznos off the side of the road.

Quiznos is the best, so the manager was completely helpful. I used their phone to call BCAA (shut up, I wasn't even sure if my spare was good). I threatened them (that I'd call back and sing) if they didn't get there and fully replace my tire in 7 minutes. They said "oh no, we can't do that...we'll be an hour or so". I cried, pleaded, negotiated and, after promising that they could have my house and all my shoes, they arrived in 6 minutes. (What crazy people work during a game 7 anyhow?)

I had to listen to the start of the game in the car: "sorry for having to leave it running, sir...it doesn't have a shut off?". I cried during the anthem and I think Mr. BCAA was a little scared of me. I honked when Burr scored the first goal, scaring the life out of my superhero working roadside on my car. "No, you can't die NOW, pass out after the tire's on".

Anyhow, I arrived home in time to catch most of the game and the slaying of the dragon. But that was the WORST flat tire one could have and it nearly killed me.

I was 18 and my first time leaving home was to get a job working on the rigs. Got a job, my uncle let me use his old 1980 Lebaron to get to the rig.

I got to the rig worked a few days and absolutely hated it, I got yelled at 24/7.

I got up in the middle of the night to quit and both of my back tires were flat. So I went back to bed and 14 years later I'm a drilling consultant that heads the entire drilling operation.

I was 18 and my first time leaving home was to get a job working on the rigs. Got a job, my uncle let me use his old 1980 Lebaron to get to the rig.

I got to the rig worked a few days and absolutely hated it, I got yelled at 24/7.

I got up in the middle of the night to quit and both of my back tires were flat. So I went back to bed and 14 years later I'm a drilling consultant that heads the entire drilling operation.

Anyone ever driven the Connector Loop series of logging roads that you can take from Mackenzie to Fort St. James? It's like being on a freeway in rush hour except it's all loaded logging trucks and flatbeds carrying huge pieces of metal to build the mine up there, absolutely terrifying. I had a flat on the way to a campsite last summer, but between how rough the road is and my music on full blast, I didn't notice until I got to camp. Probably a good thing as I would not want to change a tire on that road. Somehow I didn't wreck my rim either.

I used to get flats on my bike all the time. A Kawasaki Ninja 600. Had super sticky tires that were great for cornering but picked up every single nail or piece of debris I passed over. Had to get my buddies truck to haul my bike home a few times.

Jeep CJ5 way up a logging road above Lake Cowichan. To get 6 people in the Jeep had to leave the spare back at camp. Probably about 15 miles from the main road. Had to drive it down the logging road on the rim. Ruined a almost new 33" Offroad T/A tire that would have just needed a patch and the rim.

later that same trip I blew the 305 engine out of that Jeep. Thats when I realized that if you want to go off roading take a dirt bike and abuse that. More fun and costs way less to fix.

Archived