The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Let Lack compete for the starting job

King Heffy

If Lou Tanks (which won't happen) or gets injured Lack will get his chance.

If Lack strings shutouts together and is on winning streak when Lou get's healthy Tort's will still play Lack until he losses.

If Lack gets a couple more shutouts the next time he gets in the net then it gets interesting.

Chances of that happening, not very high... 10 percent at best.

Given the Luongo interview making it appear likely that he won't be back after the upcoming season, I think it's time to give Lack a legit shot at the #1 spot if he outplays Lu. It would be incredibly dangerous to rely on Luongo, and then put in an untested goalie when Roberto starts to play like trash in the playoffs yet again.

We have a new coach who won't be playing favourites nearly as much as the idiot he replaced. Goaltending should be no exception. Either Luongo plays well enough to be the undisputed starter or he can spend another season as a backup.

If you watched the whole interview, not just the first 2 parts....you would see Luongo is in a good mindset.

Also, obviously Lack will get a fair chance. He's going to be the back-up. If he plays incredibly well, he'll get more playing time. Just like they did with Schneider.

Lack will have to outplay Ericsson first to be the legit back-up.

I don't understand. Of course he has the opportunity to compete for the spot. No spot is ever guaranteed. Will he actually be able to seize the number one spot, 99 percent sure, no. But yes, if he outplays Loungo somehow, then he deserves the number 1 spot. That's how it always works.

Ya I mean, if Schroder plays better than Kesler I would hope he would be rewarded with a 2C

If Alberts suddenly explodes offensively, throw him on the PP.

If Luongo faulters and 1 of the 2 potential back ups play better well, hell yes, throw them in.

Are any of these scenario's likely? Probably not.

I wasn't aware Lack was being denied the opportunity to compete for the starting job, just like all of the other players on the team. Whoever plays the best will be on the ice, including in the net. If Lack starts shutting out the world, the net will be his. It's competitive sports.

Alberts played well last season and he got paid half of his last year's salary.

At 1.5 Tanev is not overpaid.

Two of your top six in for 2.1 while the top four make 18.7 combined.

Point i was making is they put these guys off until the very end to intentionally lowball them for cap space purposes,IMO.

Luo plays 85% of the games in this his last Canuck season.

Shortchanging Alberts and Tanev allows enough cap for a fringe back up if Lack is still adversely limited due to his injury and recovery.

Eriksson is compelling as a story and may compete but we don't know if his mojo is ready until he has some game action at the NHL level.

Given the Luongo interview making it appear likely that he won't be back after the upcoming season, I think it's time to give Lack a legit shot at the #1 spot if he outplays Lu. It would be incredibly dangerous to rely on Luongo, and then put in an untested goalie when Roberto starts to play like trash in the playoffs yet again.

We have a new coach who won't be playing favourites nearly as much as the idiot he replaced. Goaltending should be no exception. Either Luongo plays well enough to be the undisputed starter or he can spend another season as a backup.

Or just not paying attention. Even without the bonus material there's nothing really that says Luongo won't be here next season. I've run under the premise through this entire thing that the only thing Luongo wanted was to be a starting goalie. Once Schneids was traded i've run under the premise that he was just fine being here no harm no foul. With no bias of my own going in I didn't remotely get that Luongo wanted out still. I got that while the situation was on he sure as hell looked at every option. The bonus footage they put out confirms that but the edited interview (I didn't think at least) didn't really counter my belief.

and yes to the mercury. Schmo has always been a strange duck.

Archived