The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Article: Cubeta lists David Booth as his #1 Sleeper Pick

Southpop45

1. David Booth, LW, Vancouver Canucks

The key with Booth is health -- both his and that of his potential linemate, Ryan Kesler. He's currently recovering from an ankle injury and hopes to be ready for the start of the season -- but in two seasons with the Canucks, he's missed 62 games. When he is on the ice, Booth hasn't been productive (17 goals, 32 points and a minus-2 rating). However, Booth has a bunch of good things going for him: his age, his history and his potential second-line role under new coach John Tortorella. Because he's entering his eighth NHL season, people tend to think he's already on the decline, but fortunately, Booth came into the NHL as a 20-year-old and is still in the middle of his prime. While his stats with the Canucks haven't been what many were hoping for, Booth did score more than 22 goals in three seasons with the Panthers and isn't shy about putting the puck on net -- in those same three seasons in Florida, he registered at least 228 shots on goal in each of them. Lastly, Booth is expected to line up on the Canucks' second line with Kesler, and if they can find some American magic, they could form a lethal unit -- with Kesler's ability to bang in the corners and go to the net, and Booth's ability to get shots to the net, good things could be in store for the duo. Many fantasy drafters will ignore Booth, but you shouldn't be one of them -- look to select him with one of your final picks.

Projection: 24 G, 25 A, plus-2, 34 PIMs, 9 PPP, 221 SOG

what are your thoughts on this?

First and foremost he has to be healthy, and as we have seen with injuries i.e. Kesler, Raymond, Edler they can be nagging ad hamper you throughout the season unless given proper time to heal and then add conditioning on top of that. The fact that Booth hasn't been skating much (or at all from what reports have been) this summer leads me to believe he is really behind the 8ball, maybe he will get his conditioning ready come playoff time- who knows? I was really rooting for the guy but I think I'm finally begining to accept the fact he is just one of those signings that just didn't work out. Maybe I'm wrong, fingers crossed (I thought him and Kassian together were fantastic BTW)

I've always believed in Booth. I truly think he's going to surprise and anyone to draft him late in their fantasy pool would have a very good pick. If the guy gets to play a full season, I can see him being the truly dominant power forward the Canucks have wanted for so long... Imagine if Kassian starts to come together too.... Having Booth and Kassian on your team playing at their best makes the Canucks a much tougher team to play against.

The key in that article is that Booth needs to shoot and shoot a lot. The catch 22 is that Kesler is a puck hog and Booth won't touch the puck unless he's looking for a rebound. IMO, Booth is better off playing with JS than Kesler.......to be honest, I don't see anyone on this roster who fits along side of Kesler.

The key in that article is that Booth needs to shoot and shoot a lot. The catch 22 is that Kesler is a puck hog and Booth won't touch the puck unless he's looking for a rebound. IMO, Booth is better off playing with JS than Kesler.......to be honest, I don't see anyone on this roster who fits along side of Kesler.

1. David Booth, LW, Vancouver Canucks

The key with Booth is health -- both his and that of his potential linemate, Ryan Kesler. He's currently recovering from an ankle injury and hopes to be ready for the start of the season -- but in two seasons with the Canucks, he's missed 62 games. When he is on the ice, Booth hasn't been productive (17 goals, 32 points and a minus-2 rating). However, Booth has a bunch of good things going for him: his age, his history and his potential second-line role under new coach John Tortorella. Because he's entering his eighth NHL season, people tend to think he's already on the decline, but fortunately, Booth came into the NHL as a 20-year-old and is still in the middle of his prime. While his stats with the Canucks haven't been what many were hoping for, Booth did score more than 22 goals in three seasons with the Panthers and isn't shy about putting the puck on net -- in those same three seasons in Florida, he registered at least 228 shots on goal in each of them. Lastly, Booth is expected to line up on the Canucks' second line with Kesler, and if they can find some American magic, they could form a lethal unit -- with Kesler's ability to bang in the corners and go to the net, and Booth's ability to get shots to the net, good things could be in store for the duo. Many fantasy drafters will ignore Booth, but you shouldn't be one of them -- look to select him with one of your final picks.

Projection: 24 G, 25 A, plus-2, 34 PIMs, 9 PPP, 221 SOG

what are your thoughts on this?

Booth is definitely a potential breakout/comeback player this year. Obviously the big question is his health, but if he stays on the ice, he will produce. There's a myth that he wasn't an effective player in his first year here, but that's not true. That year he scored 16 goals in 56 games, while only playing 14:52 a game. That's good! Moreover, only 3 of those goals were on the powerplay. To put that in perspective, he scored 13 goals in 715 minutes of even strength time, or roughly a rate of 1.10 goals per 60 minutes of play. That year, Daniel Sedin scored 1.15 goals per 60 minutes, even strength.

Booth always drives play, and he was very unlucky not to score more last year. If he and Kesler both stay healthy (which is obviously a big if) we could have a very nice second line.

During the lockout Booth was one of the players I thought needed to go due to his contract. Obviously that wasn't able to happen, but I'm really not too bummed about it because I didn't hate what I saw from his this last season. I mean, his shot accuracy sucked but it's been there before and with a little work I'm sure he can get it back. But, other than that I thought he looked pretty darn good. He was playing with intensity and getting more involved with his linemates rather than trying to be the lone wolf hero like he has sometimes in the past.

A little time healthy to find his grove and a little more gel time with his linemates I think could do him wonders. I actually agree that he could very well be an exciting player to watch next season!

And I can't wait!

Perron at #2: Really? Pretty sure he'll be taken early, not late.

Yakupov at #6: Again, he'll be taken early.

Abdelkader at #10: Not sure about that one. He won't be playing with Pavel and Hank all season long.

Pirri at #5: Huge risk picking him at all. Too many young options for Hawks to cycle through for him to have Sharp and Hossa on his wings for a significant amount of time.

Booth is a solid sleeper pick, yes. People forget that scoring spree he had before going down to injury 2 seasons ago. Hopefully the injury bug has left.

Last season he picked Faulk, Dubnyk, Stewart, Schenn, Kreider, Cervenka, Atkinson, Ellis, Turris, and Grandlund, batting .300.

I try to pick up proven, previously injured, but fully recovered players for my sleepers, or guys who just had 'off' years. Pick up those rookies and unproven guys later on in the season. Kreider? No way in hell. But Stewart? Yup.

Booth is freakin' due.

That's why I'd like to see a Prospal type player picked up in FA. The Canucks have needed a playmaking winger to play with Kesler for so long... I thought they had that in Roy but he was a rental and a natural centre of course. They have the cap but I think Gillis is still targeting a 3rd pairing LH dman before anything else.

Actually, in 2011/12 Kesler was Booth's most frequent linemate, and Booth still averaged 2.6 shots a game, which is a very good number. His career average is 2.9, but that's because he always played more minutes in Florida. On a per minute basis, he actually got MORE shots that year than he did in Florida.

Kesler and Booth are both great possession players, so even though neither is a playmaker, there will be plenty of shots to go around for them.

I've always believed in Booth. I truly think he's going to surprise and anyone to draft him late in their fantasy pool would have a very good pick. If the guy gets to play a full season, I can see him being the truly dominant power forward the Canucks have wanted for so long... Imagine if Kassian starts to come together too.... Having Booth and Kassian on your team playing at their best makes the Canucks a much tougher team to play against.

Archived