The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Article)Canucks rookie Horvat putting trade in past

Nhl staff writer:Tal Pinchevsky

TORONTO -- It is the trade forever attached to the 2013 NHL Draft. At the time, Bo Horvat had no idea he would be involved.

"I think you're going to want to hear this," NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman told the crowd at Prudential Center in Newark on June 30.

It was then Commissioner Bettman said the Vancouver Canucks announced they had traded goaltender Cory Schneider to the New Jersey Devils for the ninth pick in the draft, putting an unexpected end to a goaltending controversy that made headlines in Vancouver for more than a year.

Roberto Luongo was again the No. 1 goalie for the Canucks, who used the pick previously belonging to the Devils to select London Knights forward Bo Horvat.

Heading into his first Canucks training camp in September, Horvat has grown accustomed to being associated with the trade that ended an intense and at times bizarre saga.

"You try not to think of it too much. It's always going to be in the back of your mind. You just need to get over it and play your game," Horvat told NHL.com at the annual Rookie Showcase here. "There's nothing you can do about it but prove they made the right choice and that I can play there. It's always going to be in the back of my mind, but I just need to forget about it and go play my game."

Horvat finished eighth in playoff scoring in the Ontario Hockey League, helping the Knights to the OHL championship and a Memorial Cup appearance. It was in that tournament Horvat scored a goal off a remarkable between-the-legs pass from teammate Max Domi, who was taken 12th at the draft by the Phoenix Coyotes.

Up until the Schneider trade, Horvat was best remembered for that goal.

"It was just sick. That was by far one of the better goals I've been a part of," Horvat said. "I kind of had to pick it out of the air at the last second. I can't believe he [Domi] did it. It was crazy."

The goal was one of the top highlights of the season and got thousands of views online. But Horvat's season, and career, will be remembered for his connection to the Luongo-Schneider saga.

"[The trade] was a shock to all of us. The whole building was in shock. I'm sure the whole hockey world was in shock," Horvat said. "Me being in that situation, it's an honor for [Vancouver] to move up in the draft and get me. I was really honored that way. Now I have to prove to them they made the right choice."

It should take at least a couple of years before Canucks management is able to pass judgment on how it ultimately handled the drama in net. In the meantime, one of their top prospects will continue to do what compelled the team to trade up to draft him in the first place.

"It's always going to be that extra pressure," Horvat said. "All that stuff is going to be thrown into it. It doesn't really bother me that much. I feel that if I just go play my game and keep working hard, I should be fine."

I believe he can handle the pressure.

Being a true boss in the playoffs,should prove it.

When i spoke to him, i asked him how he felt about the pressure and he pretty much just said he's feeling lucky to be drafted to Vancouver and basically how it happened doesn't matter. Just extra motivation for him, if he doesn't make the team, just keep an eye on him in London. He's gonna break out, boat loads of more confidence, experience and more minutes with over-agers gone

Schroeder 2nd liner with Kesler and Booth or Kassian

Gaunce as the 3rd line surprise, Horvat needs another year.

My opinion only but we've numerous examples of rushing talented youth in this league leading to stunting growth and development. RNH comes to mind (multiple injuries) Brule and so on and so forth.

Best example of leaving a kid behind a year, our very own local boy Bunraby Joe Sakic who is on record as being angry at not being called up in his first year but being left behind, then saying how that was the launching point for his entire hall of fame career as it was both motivational and worth the wait as he played with different line mates who taught him new things and he put on some extra pounds as well as managed to get in 2 training camps because of it

I like this lineup, maybe switch Horvat and Higgins because if they keep Horvat it will be due to his offensive upside as well as his hustle and defense so he is likely going to be on the second line or centre on the third if he makes it.

A 9 game tryout at any of those 3 positions would be a huge positive for him.

If he does stick and Booth is healthy it may be Schroeder on the outs again...

Schroeder 2nd liner with Kesler and Booth or Kassian

Gaunce as the 3rd line surprise, Horvat needs another year.

My opinion only but we've numerous examples of rushing talented youth in this league leading to stunting growth and development. RNH comes to mind (multiple injuries) Brule and so on and so forth.

Best example of leaving a kid behind a year, our very own local boy Bunraby Joe Sakic who is on record as being angry at not being called up in his first year but being left behind, then saying how that was the launching point for his entire hall of fame career as it was both motivational and worth the wait as he played with different line mates who taught him new things and he put on some extra pounds as well as managed to get in 2 training camps because of it

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion, the Schneider trade wasn't just him for Horvat straight up.... I look at it as more of a Horvat + Luongo for Schneider since we would have lost Luongo for pretty much nothing...

Horvat + Luongo >>>>>>>> Schneider (even if he continues his solid play for the next 7+ years)... However, this is assuming we don't end up losing Luongo in the next couple of years for nothing...

In my opinion, the Schneider trade wasn't just him for Horvat straight up.... I look at it as more of a Horvat + Luongo for Schneider since we would have lost Luongo for pretty much nothing...

Horvat + Luongo >>>>>>>> Schneider (even if he continues his solid play for the next 7+ years)... However, this is assuming we don't end up losing Luongo in the next couple of years for nothing...

Archived