The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Article)New Canuck Richardson fast forwards his way to Vancouver

naslund.is.king

BY STEVE EWEN, THE PROVINCE AUGUST 26, 2013

Brad Richardson was apparently antsy about starting this Vancouver Canuck thing.

The original plan was for Richardson, his girlfriend and their two dogs to spend a leisurely three or four days driving from Los Angeles to Vancouver last week. They ended up making it here in two days, albeit with help from a “couple of cans of Red Bull,” he joked.

The 28-year-old, signed as a free agent by the Canucks in July after five seasons with the Los Angeles Kings, was part of a small group of players who skated Monday at UBC. He’s looking to add depth at the centre for Vancouver, something the team has struggled with ever since Manny Malhotra suffered his eye injury in the 2010-11 season.

Malhotra, who’s an unrestricted free agent and looking to catch on with another club, was among the other players at UBC firing pucks at goalie Eddie Lack, along with Henrik Sedin, Chris Higgins, Andrew Alberts and Alexander Edler.

“A lot of energy, a lot of hard work,” Richardson said when asked about what Canuck fans can expect from him, “but I also want to chip in offensively and fill that third-line spot.

“I’ve moved around the last few years, between centre and wing. It’ll be nice to hopefully focus on centre. If you want to win, you need strength down the middle and I’m hoping to provide that.”

Richardson had trouble sticking in the Kings’ lineup early in the season. He became a regular again late in the campaign, and, in 16 games total, put up one goal, six points, a plus-two rating and 10 penalty minutes. He played 11 of the Kings’ 18 playoff games, and had one assist, a minus-three rating and zero penalty minutes.

He signed a two-year deal with Vancouver, which Cap Geek lists him receiving $1.15 million per season.

“Looking at this team, looking at the potential, it’s really exciting,” said Richardson, a 6-foot, 197-pound Belleville, Ont., native.

Meanwhile, Alberts, 32, recently returned to Vancouver from his native Minneapolis, where he was skating with a workout group that included former Canuck rearguard Keith Ballard, now of the Minnesota Wild.

The 6-foot-5, 228-pound Alberts, who was an unrestricted free agent and re-signed a one-year deal with Vancouver for $600,000 last week, has a chance at more minutes, what with Ballard’s spot opening up.

Alberts played 24 games last year, and had one assist, a minus-seven rating and 32 penalty minutes. He’ll be vying with free-agent pickup Yannick Weber, 24, and likely youngster Frank Corrado, 20, for that No. 6 spot.

“I think I can play an aggressive game under Torts’ style,” Alberts said, pointing to new coach John Tortorella. “I think it’s a system I can play more minutes in.

“I think I can play every day. It’s not easy with the lineup we have here, but you battle in practice, work hard, and hopefully you get in and contribute. I think I can, but time will tell.”

Always have been a fan..Hard worker and can contribute in many different ways.

Welcome to the team.

If Richardson wants the 3rd line Centre job, I could see

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Booth-Kesler-Schroeder/ (Horvat,Shinkaruk,Jensen)

Higgins-Richardson-Burrows

Weise-Gaunce-Hansen

or something along those lines....we've got some crazy depth on the wings with our prospects now

Really like the way Richardson plays the game. I think he's got a great opportunity here - if he earns that 3C spot, he has a pair of outstanding two way linemates in Higgins and Hansen. Looking forward to seeing what he can do playing with them.

Nice to have Alberts back as well, particularly considering what he signed for to come back here.

Great moves imo.

I think a good scenario has the Canucks icing a scoring third line, centered by Schroeder with a fourth line picking up checking/energy detail, filling the gap, and playing against the other teams scorers when the Kesler line needs a break. Not many players would be able to fill the role as well as Richardson.

If Richardson wants the 3rd line Centre job, I could see

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Booth-Kesler-Schroeder/ (Horvat,Shinkaruk,Jensen)

Higgins-Richardson-Burrows

Weise-Gaunce-Hansen

or something along those lines....we've got some crazy depth on the wings with our prospects now

still would have wanted Lappy. hes bigger, better at shootouts and hits more. if he just cut down the penalties he would be an exceptional 4th liner. give Richardson the 3rd line role as a checking machine and Lappy as the gritty hitting machine.

D.Sedin-H.Sedin-Burrows

Booth-Kesler-Kassian

Higgins-Richardson-Hansen

Sestito-Lapierre-Weise

The best thing for this team would be if Schroeder won the 3C job, unless Booth isn't healthy and Schroeder makes the top 6.

I don't think there's much of a chance for any of our prospects to make the team except maybe Grabner and that's only if he lights it up in preseason.

I see it like:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Booth-Kesler-Burrows

Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen

Sestito-Richardson-Weise

Archived