The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Matthew Lombardi signs with Geneve-Servette of Switzerland

Good move by Lombardi. He has already made a lot of money, Switzerland is a better alternative IMO than fighting for an NHL job and likely having to play for a crap team in a crap city.

In Switzerland they get a house and car. It is an expensive place to live but with all the money he has it would be great.

He isn't a 50 point 2nd line player anymore but I think he could bring speed and experience to a third line, maybe chip in 20-30 points for under 1 million. Good budget plug, and not too old. I think he could have gotten a contract in the NHL if he really wanted one.

I think the writing was on the wall.

He followed up some pretty terrible underlying numbers in Toronto with even worse ones last year in Phoenix and Anaheim.

A relative corsi of -16.1 with 60% offensive zone starts is not going to get your re-signed, nor are really weak results in the faceoff circle, or an overall lack of production, even at a bargain of a cap hit.

He had promise earlier in his career, but then he suffered the curse of wearing a maple leaf.

I remember a few years back when he was a Flame, somebody posted that he was the one thing that the Canucks were lacking to win a cup, although I disagreed. He had speed and skill, but like many other players, was changed by a concussion

I wonder if this means they're not interested in Wellwood anymore.

I've actually watched 3 games and I didn't mind the language barrier. It's kinda interesting... the hockey is skilled. Its a very good league.

I also sometimes like watching habs games in french ... or cbc punjab even. Hahaha hockey is great in all languages. Especially when the french or Punjabi commentators get excited and I can't figure out what they're saying.

Archived