The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mainland Chinese boy urinates in Richmond Centre garbage can

The Situation

There is no such thing as a queue at a number of bus stops in Vancouver...the 41 stop at Oakridge going eastbound comes to mind.

Cantonese people are no better in many regards, but this is definitely a mainland Chinese thing...in the last 5 years the mainlander population has exploded. I'd reckon 70% of Canada Line riders are mainlanders! I hear more Mandarin there than I do anywhere else.

I think that's pretty gross. My family are from Mainland China and I have never in my life seen them or anyone else I know do that. Though I have heard of stuff like this happening in HK in recent years (with the influx of Mainlanders).

There is no such thing as a queue at a number of bus stops in Vancouver...the 41 stop at Oakridge going eastbound comes to mind.

Cantonese people are no better in many regards, but this is definitely a mainland Chinese thing...in the last 5 years the mainlander population has exploded. I'd reckon 70% of Canada Line riders are mainlanders! I hear more Mandarin there than I do anywhere else.

Don't give me that. I'm a real Vancouverite and I resent all the people who come here and impose their trashy norms and change it for the worst.

If their ways were so great how come they didn't stay in their homeland left instead of coming here?

The old Vancouver that established a reputation of being a great place to live wasn't run by FOBs and hick town refugees like it is now...

There are more Cantonese in the Mainland than anywhere else in the world. I am not entirely sure why there is such a huge divide in ettiquette between some Mainlanders and Chinese in Taiwan, Hong Kong and elsewhere. Don't get me wrong, there is plenty of very polite and well mannered Mainlanders but some are just terrible. One possible theory I have heard is that the "Cultural Revolution" ended up destroying traditional Chinese manners. They survived elsewhere amongst the Chinese who did not live under communist rule.

Many of the opposing side fled to Taiwan during the revolution, so they probably kept many of the older customs and whatnot. Hong Kong was under British rule so they were/are more "westernized".

The Cultural Revolution did take away a lot of (if not all) the old customs, religion, etc., so I think that's a pretty valid theory. Though I don't think that explains all of it.

It could also be that a lot more Mainlanders are now wealthier, but they still lack education (not sure that's the best word to describe what I'm trying to say). So, they're now able to travel and stuff, but they're still unaware that what they're doing is not acceptable elsewhere.

It could also be the result of a rapid rise in wealth from many rural Chinese who were poor for many generations. They're ettiquette has yet to catch up with them. However, Taiwan wasn't exactly wealthy after the Civil War. They also experienced an even faster rise in wealth.

That's kinda what I was trying to say re: education. Though my family wasn't wealthy and were from the rural areas, too. And, like I mentioned earlier, I have never seen/heard of stuff like this until more recently. That said, I was born here so I have no idea if they did this sort of thing back when they were in China. Don't think they went to malls much (or maybe they didn't even have malls nearby) back in China though. LOL

Perhaps it's because the Mainlanders who went to Taiwan kept many of the traditional ways and also adapted to Taiwanese culture (not really sure about the history of Taiwan)?

I don't want to start a second controversy here but Taiwanese are essentially Chinese or to be more specific, Hokkien. I think they are even more Chinese than Mainlanders because communism has destroyed so much of the Mainlander's culture.

Archived