The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gaunce chances at making Canucks

DrChill

I don't think so, there are a lot of players he has to win the spot over, including 5 players with NHL experience and 3 more with AHL experience.

For the bottom two centre spots he is competing with:

Top competition

Richardson

Schroeder

Santorelli

Weaker but legit competition

Hamil

Ferriero

Longshots

Lain

Mallet

Horvat

Friesen

Plus possible training camp tryouts, there are several serviceable veteran centres still unsigned - Halpern, Brent, Smithson, Reasoner, Murray, Nichol, Hensick, Macdonald, Gillies, Wandel, Connolly

There is enough guys battling for the open spots that whoever ends up playing is going to deserve it. Personally I don't think Gaunce is ready yet, hope I'm wrong but if he does win it, that's cool. We all know we are hurting to see some more youthful energy out there

Gaunce is too young for the AHL, so it's be the O or the Canucks.

It's very difficult to say without knowing how much he will and has progressed, and without having seen him play against NHL competition.

My preference would be to see Schroeder on Kelser's wing, Richardson between Higgins and Hansen, and where Gaunce is concerned, a possible depth role at 4C or on the wing of the 4th line - and I disagree with people who constantly repeat on these boards that a young player can't and won't develop playing a fourth line role. A fourth line doesn't necessarily have to be a cookie cutter checking line - I remember a fairly effective 'kid' line for the Oilers... Graves, Murphy and Gelinas...

On the other hand, I'd also like to see a veteran faceoff center added so that if the Canucks went with Schroeder on the wing and Richardson at 3C, they wouldn't necessarily be forced to rely on a young rookie (if not entirely ready) or Santorelli to center a line and would have a dzone shutdown option.

Richardson is certainly a lock for our Canucks fourth line. Horvat, Gaunce, Schroeder and couple other centres will battle it out for the third line center I won't be surprised if Zach Hamill earns the spot for 4th line center. As we all know he came from Boston and I think he has tons of potential. But most likely Gaunce might come away as center for our third line. Go Canucks Go!!!! We Are Going To Win The Cup This Year Cuz This Is What We Live For!!!!!! :)

IMO, Schroeder and Richardson are the ones competing for the 3C role. Maybe Gaunce or Horvat really impress - enough to be considered over any of those three in the bottom 6 - or maybe Santorelli pushes to be more than our 13th forward, but I think Lain has a greater shot at 4C than Gaunce does at making the team.

I don't think he's going to make it out of the gate. He'll get his chance though to be called up I'm sure.

Well MG said he wants the team younger so you will see the likes of Gaunce, Schroeder and even horvat challenge for that 3rd C position. 4th line will be handled by Richardson, but don't be surprised to see Richardson get some 3rd line center time, he's determind to land it.

For center:

Schroeder

Gaunce

Horvat

In that order. If you include Jensen for wing, then he would be second. Things may change heading into camp. And I'm not including veterans here, just rookies. Kassian already made the team, so he's not on the list. This isn't a list of skill level, its just realistic based on age, experience and maturity. Horvat isn't making the team this year.

Is anyone else like me and thinking that Gaunce is going to push for a top 9 spot out of camp?

With booth probably not starting the season due to injury, I see him either on kesler wing or 3rd center. I know everyone seems to think Jensen will get a spot but I think he needs more seasoning at the AHL first.

Gaunce has played wing last year very successfully. As a good 2way guy I could see him paired with kesler on the wing

Thoughts?

Well MG said he wants the team younger so you will see the likes of Gaunce, Schroeder and even horvat challenge for that 3rd C position. 4th line will be handled by Richardson, but don't be surprised to see Richardson get some 3rd line center time, he's determind to land it.

He has a good chance, the thing that may keep him off the team is his cap hit. There is no doubt Gaunce is more suited for a "typical" 3C role than Schroeder based on his size and willingness to throw hits, and he has more skill than Lain. The issue is, Schroeder and Lain's cap hits are significantly (~$400K) less than Gaunce's meaning both Lain and Schroeder will most likely get a look at filling the bottom 6 center openings in the first 3/4 of the season.

Having said all that, I think Gaunce is the man for the 3C role in the very near future. He is very good at faceoffs, has better than average NHL size, an above average NHL level shot (think left-handed Kesler), is willing to throw the body, has outstanding defensive positioning, and HATES losing. If not this year, I think Brendan Gaunce will be the 3C next year.

He has a good chance, the thing that may keep him off the team is his cap hit. There is no doubt Gaunce is more suited for a "typical" 3C role than Schroeder based on his size and willingness to throw hits, and he has more skill than Lain. The issue is, Schroeder and Lain's cap hits are significantly (~$400K) less than Gaunce's meaning both Lain and Schroeder will most likely get a look at filling the bottom 6 center openings in the first 3/4 of the season.

Having said all that, I think Gaunce is the man for the 3C role in the very near future. He is very good at faceoffs, has better than average NHL size, an above average NHL level shot (think left-handed Kesler), is willing to throw the body, has outstanding defensive positioning, and HATES losing. If not this year, I think Brendan Gaunce will be the 3C next year.

Gaunce is good enough for the 3rd line center spot, but I would like to see him at the world juniors aswell. He is big, smart, conservative player for a 19 year old kid. Him at the 3rd line center is fine with me I can see him facing off with other stars and he will play fine because he is such a smart, conservative kid. Reminds me of Stoll.

Archived