The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

50 dogs dumped outside 2 Metro Vancouver shelters

38 in Richmond and another 12 in New West

Two Metro Vancouver animal shelters are dealing with a canine conundrum after 50 tiny dogs were left at separate facilities in different towns overnight.

A total of 38 dogs in a variety of hard-sided and wire carriers were dumped at Richmond Animal Protection Society sometime between 11 p.m. last night and 7 a.m. Friday morning.

The dogs include Chihuahuas, Yorkshire Terriers and mixed-breed terriers. Two are young puppies.

All of the animals appear to be in good health, said Richmond City Spokesperson Ted Townsend.

The animals will be taken to see a vet today for a checkup and any necessary vaccinations.

Townsend says he’s never heard of something on this scale happening in the city. He believes all of the dogs will be put up for adoption.

It’s unknown where the dogs came from, but one woman identifying herself as a shelter worker speculated they could have come from a puppy mill.

A photo of the pups was tweeted out Friday morning with the caption: “We got 30+ dogs dumped at our shelter at once, there needs to be a law against puppy mills.”

Another 12 dogs were left outside the animal shelter in New Westminster.

A shelter spokesperson who spoke to CTV News said staff is concerned that some are not healthy. Some of the dogs appear undernourished and one may have vision issues.

They’re unsure if the dogs came from the same place as the ones dumped at the Richmond facility, and are in touch to coordinate information.

I know animal shelters don't want to be judgmental, but they should really start installing cameras at their "drop-off" points. Not to target some family forcing to give up a pet or some person who is unable to handle the responsibilities, but massive abandonment like this.

If it's some puppy mill, I hope whoever did it will be caught and persecuted by the law or by society.

I know animal shelters don't want to be judgmental, but they should really start installing cameras at their "drop-off" points. Not to target some family forcing to give up a pet or some person who is unable to handle the responsibilities, but massive abandonment like this.

If it's some puppy mill, I hope whoever did it will be caught and persecuted by the law or by society.

The other plus here...is that these puppies look relatively healthy. They were obviously relinquished by someone before there was signifigant pain or suffering involved. I say...bravo to that!

I wonder if some do-gooder has rescued them all...from the fate of medical-experimentation or some other such explanation. Hold your horses on the judgement - people. There is a lot to be thankful for here.

For anyone to relinquish their entire investment without compensation..is already a signifigant sacrifice. You cannot bleed a stone.

It was absolutely crazy out at the Richmond shelter this weekend. Lots of people there to fill out applications. But there were also a lot of bored people who treated the place like a free petting zoo, which is annoying because 1) The dogs are undersocialized and have hoards of strangers ogling them stresses them out and 2) It takes away from staffs' time that could be better spent assisting people who are actually interested in adopting. The dogs are not there for your entertainment, people. If you cannot adopt and want to help out, drop off or send in a donation. And if you don't want to help out, then leave those poor dogs alone.

Archived