The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Debunking the Roberto Luongo Myths

5Fivehole0

These "elite" young goalies have only ever really played with near oversized equipment whereas older mroe established goalies played some of their careers with the smaller overall gear. I think this year sees quite a few shocks in who is and is not elite.

This doesn't make any sense. Goaltender equipment (pads specifically) have been slimmed down and regulated more closely in the last 7 years. The only goalies who had played with the bigger equipment would be 30+ year old guys. The younger group had come up using the more current regulated equipment, so if anything, younger goalies have the advantage.

Besides, you're kidding yourself if you think equipment makes a goaltender good. It might be true that further reductions to goalie gear may increase goals scored, but it won't stop the skilled goaltender from winning.

Publicly asking for a trade? There is no Circus if he privately talked to management about a trade.

Pumping tires? One of the stupidest comments I have ever herd in a SCF.

Ill retire if they make bigger nets, OK

My contract sucks, you and your agent learned a valuable lesson then I guess.

Hacked TSN interview or not, some of the stuff he said on that interview is really nobody's business.

Honestly is great and all but what was his motive?

So the reporters wouldn't ask him questions? Or maybe the opposite?

I seriously think he is mental.

Goalie equipment made it's largest debut in 2003/2004. Remember seeing Guguere vs Broduer? Those were huge. Older guys played all juniors in smaller style padding where as ghe younger goalies got to play juniors with larger pads and only recently had to slim down.

If a puck goes past me that I could have stopped(break-away or just a shot) I blame myself, tell myself what I did wrong and move on from there. If it's a shot that I had no chance on or was put in off of, or by one of my team mates I brush it off like it never happened. Every time my team ties the game, I now look at it as 0-0. If the other team is up by 2 and the score is 7-5, in my head it's 2-0. Keeps you from getting mad at yourself. But as a goalie, if you had a chance to stop it, it's your fault... 40% luck 60% skill. If you're in position you have a better chance(luck) to stop the puck.

Much is true, but I don't agree with it implying Miller was the lesser of the two in the gold medal game. Both goals against were stoppable. Keslers was rather weak, even tho it was a tip, we see Lu make that save 9 time outta ten. Parises, sure their was 2 guys behind the D, but cmon, the shot itself was stoppable. Lu spent that entire game popping out rebounds, he looked shakey, really really shakey. The scoring chance only came because he couldn't catch a pop fly dump in ten seconds earlier.

2 GA, not bad, but lets not act like it was even close to Lu's best. If we stand by him being elite, gotta acknowledge the gaffs. Not saying rip him for it, there's enough of that.

The problem has always been that he's the better goalie going into a series, but rarely the best coming out. Heck, even game 7 vs Chicago, we won, but he was still shown up by Crawford.

Think he'll be fine this year though, #4-6 in overall stats among starters. We will live or die by the twins and Keslers medical bill.

Publicly asking for a trade? There is no Circus if he privately talked to management about a trade.

Proof? Or are you just interpreting him saying he would wave if asked as I want a trade?

Pumping tires? One of the stupidest comments I have ever herd in a SCF.

What has that got to do with anything? He was constantly being asked about Thomas' play, not his own. Sounds like a crybaby fan looking for a reason to justify their retarded hate on.

Ill retire if they make bigger nets, OK

Fundamentally changing a game that has existed for more than 100 years. I'd retire too. If you can't see that the very idea was idiotic, well, then you belong with the group who came up with the idea.

My contract sucks, you and your agent learned a valuable lesson then I guess.

What a bastard for being human and being upset that the trade he was told about minutes before fell through. I bet you would piss and moan if he said anything against Gillis not being willing to absord some salary too. Hell. I'd bet that you would whine if he said nothing, or said he was happy. You are likely a chronic Lu hater and would find a gripe about anything he said or did.

Hacked TSN interview or not, some of the stuff he said on that interview is really nobody's business.

Yes it is. It's his business and his decision to share. You just hate it because he likely squashed 99% or the bs you knew for fact.

Honestly is great and all but what was his motive?

Clearing the air so the wanks and whiners would shut up?

So the reporters wouldn't ask him questions? Or maybe the opposite?

I seriously think he is mental.

I think fans like you are mental. Bunch if bipolar, crybabies on their menstrul cycle.

Irrelevent. I heard Luongo's comment that he never blocked any actual deals - referring to the 2012 draft speculation - which is irrelevent (and none of us know the substance of the deal that actually fell through at the last minute at the trade deadline) - what I said is that I'd rather have Schneider and a 2nd than Luongo and a 1st - that is all.

You can complain all you want about the deal, or the deal that never happened. We have Luongo and in reality we had the choice of either having a great goalie or a great goalie. I liked Schneider too, but fact is, we don't even know if we would have gotten a 2nd for Luongo. A lot of GM's were mentioning waiting it out expecting Lou to go compliance buyout. It really would have been a lose-lose situation for MG no matter what.

Remember that this is still the same goaltender that took us to the SCF and game 7, with a duct-taped team in front no less. Is that really something to cry about?

Archived