The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Gamecenter

Christophe

So I was thinking of picking up Gamecenter for this upcoming season. Just had a few questions for people that have used it.

Can I use a VPN to get around the local blackouts, obviously I'd be using it mainly for Canucks.

Does it include playoffs? Pretty sure it does, but who knows with the way the NHL is :\

Is the quality decent and is it stable? Laggy etc?

You can get around local blackouts. I use unblock us.

I think there was first and second round of playoffs for European viewers only. Unblock us switched my dns to Europe.

It was leggy as all hell on xbox. Just brutal. Pc is fine.

All HNIC games will be on the CBC website for people in Canada including playoffs. I don't have cable, but i watched every game last year, sometimes good quality sometimes bad... Just saying. Oh and also the Canucks site has streaned games for the sportsnet games for 3 bucks a piece, decent quality, not HD though.

Most people are in this category and that's why companies like Shaw and Bell don't allow individual channel purchases. They always package them up with stuff no one watches.

Sportsnet and TSN could make a lot more money if they just sent their feeds using encrypted over the air signals. They could charge people $5/month for their one chan, which is probably 5x what the cable or satellite providers give them per subscriber.

If you want to go with gamecentre live, try it before you buy it. I think they usually have a couple of free days at the start of the season. You can use that time to test it with your vpn to see how well it works. The quality is generally pretty good, but if you're comparing it with satellite/cable, you're going to be disappointed by the results.

• 1 month later...

I live in Hawaii and have Gamecenter. The quality is quite good and my only complain is that ALL nationally broadcast games, as well as almost all the Kings, Sharks, Ducks vs Canucks game are blacked out, as apparently an island 2400 miles of the coast is still considered part of a "local" broadcast. Which is like saying a Tampa/Florida game is a local broadcast in Denver, but hey, the things we do for hockey I guess.

I live in Hawaii and have Gamecenter. The quality is quite good and my only complain is that ALL nationally broadcast games, as well as almost all the Kings, Sharks, Ducks vs Canucks game are blacked out, as apparently an island 2400 miles of the coast is still considered part of a "local" broadcast. Which is like saying a Tampa/Florida game is a local broadcast in Denver, but hey, the things we do for hockey I guess.

I bought it last year and loved it, purchased it again this year because it was $150 (something I can make on a busy weekend night bartending). I may be a special case though because I'm a Canucks fan in the eastern US, so televised Canucks games are few and far between here in Pennsylvania.

The only complaint I have is the delay between actual game time and me seeing it on the GameCenter feed, where I could see what was coming by checking Twitter before it actually happened.

im thinking of either game center of nhl center ice w/ directv since im in southern CA. ive had center ice the last 3 years and like it a lot but would like to be able to watch the games other places than my house.

seems like theres a lag between actual events and gamecenter broadcasts and the quality isnt that great?

that has me leaning towards center ice again

Archived