The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dave gagner steps down as director of player development

billabong

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Dave Gagner has left VAN as director of player development for the same role with the Orr Hockey Group.

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Gagner will work with Orr Hockey Group clients including 2014 draft eligible Aaron Ekblad and 2015 eligible Connor McDavid, amongst others.

Good shake up for our team

Good luck on his new job.

It's hard to really evaluate that kind of job, same as scouting. We can't know for sure what are the real impact of the scouting and player development of (for example) a 1st round Bust or 5th round surprise. Is it just talent, hard work, bad development, bad scouting, luck, players who develops faster/slower than others. Hard to say, it's a mix of everything but you can't put the blame/kudos simply on the scout or player's development.

Hmmmmm....

This is a little curious as the move doesn't look like a step-up. Gagner was one of MG's first hirings when he first came onboard. Is he looking for something less high pressure? Did he fall out of favour? Does he not like the direction of the org?

I don't think this is entirely cut and dry.

It's interesting that so many people wanted AV gone as head coach because of their conceived notion that he ruined player development. If, in actuality, prospects development was as terrible as people claim during AV's tenure, I expect all those same people will be overcome with joy to see Gagner gone.

If I were to guess, I'd say this was a forced 'quitting'. I think we all remember when Hodgson was golden boy and training with Gagner when he blew out his back, and delayed his development. Beyond that, we haven't heard much of anything from Gagner. I always assumed that by drafting from the OHL, like we have done for the last couple years, was to draft more geographically in favour of Gagner's development centre in Markham.

Timing also seems interesting, as this is right before prospects camp, the time of year in which Gagner's input would be most relevant.

Regardless, this seems like a step down for Gagner. You don't pass up a job with an NHL team to move on to a hockey camp.

Manny Malhotra?

Sure... there's a lot to evaluate & process - here. But - player development is something that I could see a guy like Manny excel at - eventually,...after he finally decides to hangs 'em up....& receives a little bit of supplimental or apprenticeship-type training for it. There's a place for you here in VAN....Manny. All my best.

Archived