The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dave gagner steps down as director of player development

billabong

Hopefully a better replacement will be found (or promoted) shortly for the vacant position.

Personally, I've been unimpressed with Gagner's tenure at the helm of Canucks player development. The results lately from that department, other than a few rare exceptions, have been underwhelming.

As for Gagner, most of his accomplishments with the Canucks seem to have come more from his scouting than from his involvement with developing players once they're actually here (he's played a key role in several notable acquisitions--such as Tanev).

Hopefully, Canucks management will maintain a good relationship with Gagner in his new position. As part of the Orr Hockey Group, he will be involved in scouting and recruiting players from around the world. Hopefully, he can still direct some of them into the Canucks pipeline (or at least offer a positive view of the organization as a potential choice).

I'm glad that he hasn't joined another NHL organization (where he'd be in direct competition with the Canucks for player resources).

If he was a scout that would be great.

However I don't think he can take credit for his development since he pretty much came to us almost NHL ready.

Gagner has produced no tangible results in his time here. You can blame that on scouting partially, but in a results based business, someone had to get the axe. And I don't see us cleaning house on our scouts just yet.

The most important person for player development now will be Travis Green.

trevor doesn't belong in canucks coaching or management. putting him in a position to tarnish his legacy is a bad idea.

whether its player development, coaching or management, at some point he's going to have to be fired, or i suppose moved all throughout the organization like steamer.

Has he ever been approached my Canuck management about a job with the Canucks? I don't really think you know the answer to that. I appreciate the fact he has indicated to the sports media that he has other interests, however,, should he be made the right offer, you might be surprised if he accepted.

You snapped that answer out as though you are an authority on what Linden wants in his future. I hardly doubt that. Never say never unless you are personally making the decision.

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Dave Gagner has left VAN as director of player development for the same role with the Orr Hockey Group.

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Gagner will work with Orr Hockey Group clients including 2014 draft eligible Aaron Ekblad and 2015 eligible Connor McDavid, amongst others.

Good shake up for our team

And you sound as if you'd be surprised if he didn't accept.

It doesn't matter if he's been approached, he's said himself he's focused on his other opportunities and isn't interested in a job in hockey right now. He's enjoying having time to himself to go cycling or whatever. Maybe that changes, but until I hear something to that effect I'll go with what we know now.

Archived