The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pope Francis: "Your sexuality does not matter."

King James bible. Leviticus 20:13

If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death

Seems to me the bible is fairly straightforward in its thoughts on the subject. Im guessing its a tough job to make some of the bible work in these enlightened times with regards to slavery and homosexuality. The Pope seems to be moving forward in a well thought out way though.

Last I heard in was 77 virgins although I have heard 777 and 1,000 as well as other numbers. I think the original number was 7 but that doesn't cut it any more. Anyways,does this mean the pope is gay then? I mean, a lot to the men in that outfit seem to be attracted to other males already, so I'd say this is good news for most of them.

King James bible. Leviticus 20:13

If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death

Seems to me the bible is fairly straightforward in its thoughts on the subject. Im guessing its a tough job to make some of the bible work in these enlightened times with regards to slavery and homosexuality. The Pope seems to be moving forward in a well thought out way though.

I'm not Christian, but if you're going to criticize than you should at least learn the difference between the Old Testament (AKA the Hebrew Bible) - of which Leviticus is a part - and the New Testament. For Christianity, the New Testament supersedes the Old Testament. Many of the teachings in the Old Testament, especially the stuff in Leviticus, no longer applies to most modern, mainstream Christianity sects.

I had a real good discussion with one of my friends who is a very strict catholic about this (actually it was when he gave the interview on the plane.) Really the view hasn't changed in the eyes of the church (or even with this pope,) but the difference is that Francis is conveying things in a better way to make "the church" seem more embracing rather than cold.

Umm, I don't know if anyone clicked on the link but the title of the article is

Vatican denies Pope made call to gay Catholic

The OP seems to have omitted that and the first bit of the article which states:

The Vatican firmly denied reports in France on Friday that Pope Francis had telephoned a young gay French Catholic to reassure him. Christophe Trutino had claimed in a newspaper interview the Pontiff had told him “Your homosexuality. It doesn't matter" in a personal call.

Father Lombardi, a spokesman for the Vatican “firmly denied” claims by the young gay Catholic that the Pope had made a private telephone call to him last week.

After previously declining to deny or confirm the call, in which Christophe Trutino claimed the Pope told him “Your homosexuality doesn’t matter” Lombardi told Le Figaro newspaper: “The Pope never called this person.”

“The only time the Pope has called France was to speak to Cardinal Barbarin. I absolutely deny this information," he said.

“There is always the risk that people pretend to be the pope over the phone,” Lombardi added.

~end

That being said, this new pope does seem to be much more tolerant and progressive, as evidenced by this quote:

"Pope Francis had expressed his tolerance towards homosexuality on a visit to Brazil earlier this year when he said “If a person is gay and seeks God and has good will, who am I to judge?"

The church has to evolve somehow to keep the unintelligent religious masses from completely becoming disillusioned.

Only a matter of decades ago (western) churches maintained the belief that women should simply be subservient to men and are not capable of making major decisions themselves. Obviously no church would survive in the mainstream the way this one has if it didn't cut corners and repeatedly re-interpret religious text in a contemporary fashion.

If anything this is a continuous affirmation that this is all made-up and religions are not of some divine nature pertaining to any deity or deities but a conjured up social construct aimed at controlling the way others think and act. One giant evolving lie that the populace would behoove itself to grow out of.

Umm, I don't know if anyone clicked on the link but the title of the article is

Vatican denies Pope made call to gay Catholic

The OP seems to have omitted that and the first bit of the article which states:

The Vatican firmly denied reports in France on Friday that Pope Francis had telephoned a young gay French Catholic to reassure him. Christophe Trutino had claimed in a newspaper interview the Pontiff had told him “Your homosexuality. It doesn't matter" in a personal call.

Father Lombardi, a spokesman for the Vatican “firmly denied” claims by the young gay Catholic that the Pope had made a private telephone call to him last week.

After previously declining to deny or confirm the call, in which Christophe Trutino claimed the Pope told him “Your homosexuality doesn’t matter” Lombardi told Le Figaro newspaper: “The Pope never called this person.”

“The only time the Pope has called France was to speak to Cardinal Barbarin. I absolutely deny this information," he said.

“There is always the risk that people pretend to be the pope over the phone,” Lombardi added.

~end

That being said, this new pope does seem to be much more tolerant and progressive, as evidenced by this quote:

"Pope Francis had expressed his tolerance towards homosexuality on a visit to Brazil earlier this year when he said “If a person is gay and seeks God and has good will, who am I to judge?"

Archived