The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Don Taylor and Obscure Canuck Names

cabinessence

Don Taylor seems to really have a good ability to reference obsure Canucks on his broadcasts. Some of teh regulars he seems to name drop include Frank Caprice, Ed Dyck, Dana Murzyn, and Bobby Lalonde. Was there a player called Frank Drebin on the team? I am not sure if he made the team or was just a fringe type player.

http://youtu.be/jcJ9gj4feZI

not a fan of Leslie Neilson, so I have never heard of Frank Drebin.

However the others are Frank Caprice a late 70s back up goalie, Ed Dyck an early 70s 3rd string goalie drafted out of Calgary I think, Dana Murzyn a 1st round pick by Hartford who came to Van via a trade with the Flames for Ronnie Stern, often compared to a pylon however he was part of the 94 SCF team. Bobby Lalonde, a 2nd round pick in 71, was a 5'4" C/RW who also played for the Bruin. So not sure what the humor is with regards to Caprice, maybe his long curly hair, but the others have a funny name, was a pylon or the smallest player to play in the NHL since the 1930s.

not a fan of Leslie Neilson, so I have never heard of Frank Drebin.

However the others are Frank Caprice a late 70s back up goalie, Ed Dyck an early 70s 3rd string goalie drafted out of Calgary I think, Dana Murzyn a 1st round pick by Hartford who came to Van via a trade with the Flames for Ronnie Stern, often compared to a pylon however he was part of the 94 SCF team. Bobby Lalonde, a 2nd round pick in 71, was a 5'4" C/RW who also played for the Bruin. So not sure what the humor is with regards to Caprice, maybe his long curly hair, but the others have a funny name, was a pylon or the smallest player to play in the NHL since the 1930s.

How dare you call the great Dana Murzyn a pylon !

Don Taylor seems to really have a good ability to reference obsure Canucks on his broadcasts. Some of teh regulars he seems to name drop include Frank Caprice, Ed Dyck, Dana Murzyn, and Bobby Lalonde. Was there a player called Frank Drebin on the team? I am not sure if he made the team or was just a fringe type player.

OMG! How old are you?

Sergeant Frank Drebin, Detective Lieutenant Police Squad played for the Canucks. :shock:

The kids these days probably don't understand half of Don Taylor's pop culture references.

Don Taylor is a gem. So many cookie cutter anchor's out there...*cough cough*...TSN (now that Jay and Dan are gone). He is unique and awesome. The day he goes will be sadder than when Jay & Dan did...for me anyways!

edit: the shot at TSN is most of their "newer" ones. Dutchy is still a beauty.

• 1 month later...

Archived