The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canadian Economy - Hows it doing?

Burnsey

I am a drilling consultant that lives in salmon arm and works in Pennsylvania, it costs me an average of 800$ to fly across the continent. I can't see it being more than that going from BC to AB you could live anyplace you desire on a rotation. It's awesome, I work 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off.

As for working around carcinogens, our rules and guidelines are so strict on PPE that you would need to intentionally put yourself at risk.

I know it's not for everyone, but I do know there are a lot of young guys out there that don't like school, love the out doors, love working hard, and love making lots of money.

A roughneck which is where most people start is 30.70/hr x 14 which is 12 hrs + OT = 429.80 + 140 non camp = 569.80 a day, you work 21 days a month = $11,965.8 per month = $143,589.6/ year.

I'm sure you can afford plane tickets and live comfortably in Vancouver.

If you don't believe me here is the wage schedule

http://www.caodc.ca/...e_drilling.html

I've heard from varying people that there are tons of jobs and it's easy to get work out there, and then I've heard from others that it's gotten more difficult and there isn't as much work.

I've considered the option before, but don't have any experience in that sort of field.. which is why people tell me to look in other directions.

What's your opinion of it all, being someone who works in that industry?

What is so douchey about what I said? I've lost many friends to drugs and my own father ended up a loser addict, so don't take it too personally please. Everyone has their own choices to make, blaming something like heroin addiction on your geographical location is pathetic imo.

My apologies, I didn't realize you have loser blood coursing through your veins.

And I didn't solely blame geographical location on his heroin addiction either but it definitely contributed to the problem. That and the other things I mentioned.

• 6 months later...

Hello All!

It is looking more likely that I am returning to the Vancouver area. I know a few people in Maple Ridge so I have a place to stay when I first get there but was just wondering if some of you could give me a little insight into the cost of living in or around the Vancouver area.

I have been in contact with a few companies and am hopeful to have a phone interview with one of these companies next week. So I could potentially have a job when I get there. I just wanted to get an insight into the monthly prices I could expect to pay.

I was just interested in some key things like:

Rent (I know this is dependent on where I actually live but a general idea would be nice)

Grocery

Travel

Gym Membership maybe?

etc.

I plan to research all of this anyways, but thought I would post on here to see what responses I get.

Again, thanks in advance for any help/advice :)

Hello All!

It is looking more likely that I am returning to the Vancouver area. I know a few people in Maple Ridge so I have a place to stay when I first get there but was just wondering if some of you could give me a little insight into the cost of living in or around the Vancouver area.

I have been in contact with a few companies and am hopeful to have a phone interview with one of these companies next week. So I could potentially have a job when I get there. I just wanted to get an insight into the monthly prices I could expect to pay.

I was just interested in some key things like:

Rent (I know this is dependent on where I actually live but a general idea would be nice)

Grocery

Travel

Gym Membership maybe?

etc.

I plan to research all of this anyways, but thought I would post on here to see what responses I get.

Again, thanks in advance for any help/advice :)

This is going to depend a fair bit on where exactly in greater "Vancouver" you're going to be living and working.

A place in Maple Ridge for example is ging to cost a HELL of a lot less than say somewhere in Kitsilano.

This is going to depend a fair bit on where exactly in greater "Vancouver" you're going to be living and working.

A place in Maple Ridge for example is ging to cost a HELL of a lot less than say somewhere in Kitsilano.

Very true. I was ideally hoping for something outside greater Vancouver with easy access to get in/out via public transport. Any recommendations to look at?

Kinda tricky. If it helps at all, the company in which I could land a job with is quite near BC Place.

Thanks for the quick reply :)

Very true. I was ideally hoping for something outside greater Vancouver with easy access to get in/out via public transport. Any recommendations to look at?

Kinda tricky. If it helps at all, the company in which I could land a job with is quite near BC Place.

If you're taking public transit, I wouldn't recommend anything south of the Fraser that isn't within walking distance of a skytrain station.

I am a drilling consultant that lives in salmon arm and works in Pennsylvania, it costs me an average of 800$ to fly across the continent. I can't see it being more than that going from BC to AB you could live anyplace you desire on a rotation. It's awesome, I work 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off.

As for working around carcinogens, our rules and guidelines are so strict on PPE that you would need to intentionally put yourself at risk.

I know it's not for everyone, but I do know there are a lot of young guys out there that don't like school, love the out doors, love working hard, and love making lots of money.

A roughneck which is where most people start is 30.70/hr x 14 which is 12 hrs + OT = 429.80 + 140 non camp = 569.80 a day, you work 21 days a month = $11,965.8 per month = $143,589.6/ year.

I'm sure you can afford plane tickets and live comfortably in Vancouver.

If you don't believe me here is the wage schedule

http://www.caodc.ca/wage/wage_drilling.html

Can you hook me up for a summer job lol

There are places to rent downtown that are reasonable price-wise and a reasonable distance to BC Place via bus or bike. Rather than commuting or using long-distance public transit i'd look into that first. It really depends on what your priorities are. You can get more for your money, space-wise, the further out you are. But then your sacrificing amenities and convenience and increasing transportation costs.

Pretty sure it's the same scenario in the UK, but not nearly as bad. I know guys who take the train 12hrs a day to and from London. It adds strain to their marriages.

If affordability is your greatest "want" (besides being transit accessible/near BC Place) I'd guess New West is probably your best choice.

Has some of the same niceties of living in Vancouver proper (restaurants, shopping, transit, Westminster Quay etc) albeit on a smaller scale while being a fair bit more affordable.

If you're an outdoors person, North Van near the Sea Bus (or a transit accessible place in N. Van) would be another good option (but more $$) if that's a priority.

Otherwise as TML said you CAN find ok "affordable" places down town but don't expect big or luxurious. Depends on what your priorities are, hobbies, transit expectations etc.

Archived