The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gallagher: Where are the Canucks’ coaches? Not in Penticton, where the kids are desperately trying to make the team

TheMohammadman

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/09/06/gallagher-where-are-the-canucks-coaches-not-in-penticton-where-the-kids-are-desperately-trying-to-make-the-team/

Province Sports columnist Tony Gallagher writes from Penticton, where the Canucks’ “Young Stars” are taking part in a tournament this week …

These are indeed strange days with the Vancouver Canucks organization.

The team finally has assembled a bevy of solid NHL prospects and have openly said they are hoping young players will come in and steal jobs from some veterans — and yet somehow it’s not important enough to have any of the club’s coaching staff present at the Young Stars tournament.

John Tortorella and his entire staff are decidedly absent from these proceedings, as is general manager Mike Gillis. Gillis’s assistant GM, Laurence Gilman, was here for just a day before departing Friday at noon to head back to Vancouver for what he called “important organizational meetings.”

What’s particularly odd about the absence of Tortorella and his assistants is the fact that these guys have virtually no knowledge of the players in question — given the coaches are entirely new to the organization, save the goaltender coach Rollie Melanson. You are certainly left scratching your head wondering why they wouldn’t have attended Thursday night’s game, at the very least, and then if these meetings in Vancouver were so frightfully important, flew out first thing Friday morning.

Or how about holding the meetings here in Penticton, then leaving from here to go to Prince Rupert for the big club’s “bonding” and community involvement activities, which will include 17 of the veteran players. When asked why that didn’t happen, Gilman said, “I wouldn’t want to speak for John, but let’s say that watching them in this environment isn’t really what he would be interested in,” implying that watching them at main camp in Vancouver with the veterans is what counts.

Indeed, that is what counts but clearly this isn’t the feeling the San Jose Sharks have, as both GM Doug Wilson and coach Todd McLellan managed to make an appearance, coaching staffs generally trying to familiarize themselves with the players in their organization and this being a prime opportunity to do just that. But that isn’t important with the Canucks evidently.

The man whose absence is really felt is Melanson, who could be taking this time to work with Eddie Lack. Lack seems to be somewhat out of sorts, given he’s on the ice trying to work his way back from a nine-month absence from the game, while not yet having been cleared by the doctors to play. Meanwhile, Joacim Eriksson certainly showed he was new to North America in the first game he played on Thursday, yet the only fellow here to help him is Dan Cloutier, the former Canucks goalie and goaltending consultant, who has been a coach now for the better part of five minutes. What exactly he might be able to tell either one of these two guys who will be battling it out to be Roberto Luongo’s backup this season is anybody’s guess.

As the season draws closer, it’s becoming increasingly clear that this team may be in deep doo-doo in the back-up goaltender spot, and spending the little cap space they have left on a backup goalie on the open market is the last thing they’ll want to do. Given the guy is only going to be playing limited minutes behind Lui, it’s not a bad idea of they straighten one of these guys out so he can handle it.

When asked if the players were surprised that none of the coaches were here, one player who best remain nameless said, “A little bit, but I guess there are lots of people watching in the stands — and maybe they can watch these games on the Internet.”

They can, of course, as Canucks.com is streaming the games. And it’s entirely probable Gillis and the coaching staff did watch live, or later, and will see the remaining three the same way. So it’s not as though they’ll be ignorant of the proceedings up here, but there’s no question the personal touch has gone right out the window.

Perhaps this organization, as successful as it has been, is trying to do just a little too much.

twitter.com/tg_gman

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/09/06/gallagher-where-are-the-canucks-coaches-not-in-penticton-where-the-kids-are-desperately-trying-to-make-the-team/

Province Sports columnist Tony Gallagher writes from Penticton, where the Canucks’ “Young Stars” are taking part in a tournament this week …

These are indeed strange days with the Vancouver Canucks organization.

The team finally has assembled a bevy of solid NHL prospects and have openly said they are hoping young players will come in and steal jobs from some veterans — and yet somehow it’s not important enough to have any of the club’s coaching staff present at the Young Stars tournament.

John Tortorella and his entire staff are decidedly absent from these proceedings, as is general manager Mike Gillis. Gillis’s assistant GM, Laurence Gilman, was here for just a day before departing Friday at noon to head back to Vancouver for what he called “important organizational meetings.”

What’s particularly odd about the absence of Tortorella and his assistants is the fact that these guys have virtually no knowledge of the players in question — given the coaches are entirely new to the organization, save the goaltender coach Rollie Melanson. You are certainly left scratching your head wondering why they wouldn’t have attended Thursday night’s game, at the very least, and then if these meetings in Vancouver were so frightfully important, flew out first thing Friday morning.

Or how about holding the meetings here in Penticton, then leaving from here to go to Prince Rupert for the big club’s “bonding” and community involvement activities, which will include 17 of the veteran players. When asked why that didn’t happen, Gilman said, “I wouldn’t want to speak for John, but let’s say that watching them in this environment isn’t really what he would be interested in,” implying that watching them at main camp in Vancouver with the veterans is what counts.

Indeed, that is what counts but clearly this isn’t the feeling the San Jose Sharks have, as both GM Doug Wilson and coach Todd McLellan managed to make an appearance, coaching staffs generally trying to familiarize themselves with the players in their organization and this being a prime opportunity to do just that. But that isn’t important with the Canucks evidently.

The man whose absence is really felt is Melanson, who could be taking this time to work with Eddie Lack. Lack seems to be somewhat out of sorts, given he’s on the ice trying to work his way back from a nine-month absence from the game, while not yet having been cleared by the doctors to play. Meanwhile, Joacim Eriksson certainly showed he was new to North America in the first game he played on Thursday, yet the only fellow here to help him is Dan Cloutier, the former Canucks goalie and goaltending consultant, who has been a coach now for the better part of five minutes. What exactly he might be able to tell either one of these two guys who will be battling it out to be Roberto Luongo’s backup this season is anybody’s guess.

As the season draws closer, it’s becoming increasingly clear that this team may be in deep doo-doo in the back-up goaltender spot, and spending the little cap space they have left on a backup goalie on the open market is the last thing they’ll want to do. Given the guy is only going to be playing limited minutes behind Lui, it’s not a bad idea of they straighten one of these guys out so he can handle it.

When asked if the players were surprised that none of the coaches were here, one player who best remain nameless said, “A little bit, but I guess there are lots of people watching in the stands — and maybe they can watch these games on the Internet.”

They can, of course, as Canucks.com is streaming the games. And it’s entirely probable Gillis and the coaching staff did watch live, or later, and will see the remaining three the same way. So it’s not as though they’ll be ignorant of the proceedings up here, but there’s no question the personal touch has gone right out the window.

Perhaps this organization, as successful as it has been, is trying to do just a little too much.

twitter.com/tg_gman

Gallagher has become a whiner. "Where were you?" (I thought you'd be home at 7 and it's 7:03)

We've heard "deep doo doo", "diva". Can he go write some kind of romance novels or something? Honestly, tired of his negativity...season's about to gear up and I'm stoked. Don't rain on that parade, Tony. Maybe take some vitamins, sit in the sun on a patio and take a break for awhile.

All I hear is blah, blah, blah. How about this TG? How about instead of complaining about others not being there, you go write some articles on the young guns? You know, provide your insight into the action? There's hockey taking place...can you give us your thoughts on what you've seen, not what you haven't? Write about the hockey, not about your disappointment in life.

Oh man, I love how newspaper writers seem to think they're experts on running an NHL organization. Stick to writing for your failing newspaper Gallagher. He always needs something to moan about.

I'm sure Gillis has a lot more pressing things on his plate then watching a couple crappy prospects games. Like organizing training camp, filling out the rest of his roster, preparing for a long season. Things like that.

It's called delegation. Something I'm sure Gallagher has no experience with. Gillis doesn't physically need to be there. He has scouts and coaches that are well qualified to assess these kids. Tortorella will get to know these guys in main camp, which is the only thing he should be focused on right now. And too bad Lack and Eriksson only have Cloutier. I mean the guy only has over 400 games of pro experience. I'm sure he knows nothing about goaltending.

What a pointless article.

Gallagher has become a whiner. "Where were you?" (I thought you'd be home at 7 and it's 7:03)

We've heard "deep doo doo", "diva". Can he go write some kind of romance novels or something? Honestly, tired of his negativity...season's about to gear up and I'm stoked. Don't rain on that parade, Tony. Maybe take some vitamins, sit in the sun on a patio and take a break for awhile.

All I hear is blah, blah, blah. How about this TG? How about instead of complaining about others not being there, you go write some articles on the young guns? You know, provide your insight into the action? There's hockey taking place...can you give us your thoughts on what you've seen, not what you haven't? Write about the hockey, not about your disappointment in life.

Oh man, I love how newspaper writers seem to think they're experts on running an NHL organization. Stick to writing for your failing newspaper Gallagher. He always needs something to moan about.

I'm sure Gillis has a lot more pressing things on his plate then watching a couple crappy prospects games. Like organizing training camp, filling out the rest of his roster, preparing for a long season. Things like that.

It's called delegation. Something I'm sure Gallagher has no experience with. Gillis doesn't physically need to be there. He has scouts and coaches that are well qualified to assess these kids. Tortorella will get to know these guys in main camp, which is the only thing he should be focused on right now. And too bad Lack and Eriksson only have Cloutier. I mean the guy only has over 400 games of pro experience. I'm sure he knows nothing about goaltending.

What a pointless article.

You always manage to say it so well. Precisely...exactly what I think.

How? By meeting in Vancouver with no players present? Who knew you won the Stanley cup in the boardroom meetings?

It shows the rookies exactly what the organization feels about them. Any of you who bought gillis' bag of crap about getting younger and having rookies step in haven't been paying very close attention to the Canucks since Gillis has been here.

So fancy that.

What Gallagher fails to mention is that Torts is indeed at the informal practices and on ice sessions in Vancouver with the big club, he is also working with Booth apparently and is also still settling into his new home with his wife. I am sure that at this point watching the live feed and footage afterwards as well as the main camp and pre-season will help him dictate his decisions.

I am sure Gillis and Gilman are not meeting the organizational needs by not being here. They aren't poring over footage and figures trying to see who they could spend their last few million in cap space on or trying to make trades and acquire pieces for a deep playoff run.

Yes, there's no reason at all for them to not be in Penticton watching a game in which Green and staff will have the most to gain or lose from. As any of these kids making the main camp will be on the team or Utica, where the actual young kids will still be in the OHl and where there is almost nothing to gain by showing up.

Sure it will look good optically if they show up, but let's be honest. Jensen Corrado and possibly Gaunce will make the main camp. And that's it. Why does EVERYONE have to be here to see the rest of it?

Gallagher, you should address the reasons WHY they aren't here instead of floundering around like a fool.

So Travis green being there watching every step of the tourney is not having a coach there ? Tony Gallagher is lower on the evolutionary scale than a slug. The idiot fans who gobble up this tripe are bringing the game down to a level that quite frankly sickens the rest of us. Don't post Feces like this and no one will pay attention to it. I highly doubt anyone of those players will touch NHL ice for at least 2-3 years. This is just more hate mongering from a hack writer that probably cant even tie his shoes.

How? By meeting in Vancouver with no players present? Who knew you won the Stanley cup in the boardroom meetings?

It shows the rookies exactly what the organization feels about them. Any of you who bought gillis' bag of crap about getting younger and having rookies step in haven't been paying very close attention to the Canucks since Gillis has been here.

Archived