The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) 2013-2014 Roster.. It's time for a Cup push

The Coach

There has been a lot of talk about the future of the youth of our team. Seeing who may grow into what role and become the future of our organization.

I for one think it's not quite rebuild time yet and think a few key, experienced players in strategic roles could allow for a killer punch in the playoffs this year.

Acquiring a few players such as Steve Sullivan and Jamie Langebrunner would add a lot of experience to our bottom 6 as well as David Steckel who is a killer in the circle. Shpring up the D with a solid, experienced player such as Brett Clark would be a wise move as well imo.

In order to sign these players, money had to be made available and it was David Booth who was moved. I suggest a 3rd for him from a struggling team, possibly a pair of 4th's, worst case a 4th and a 5th.

Schroeder is not a lock for the 2nd, or anywhere in the line up so right off the bat we could see players move up in the order. I do not see him as strong enough for the C slot yet in his career and especially on a team where Kesler and Henrik take the top 2 spots. He is not suited (yet) for 3rd line duties as his NHL game isn't honed enough yet IMO. It is not going to be an easy team for him to make given how he plays and what there is available in those areas. SO, just as Kesler learned from Sundin, I suggest Schroeder learns the duties of C from Kesler while catching up to speed in the RW role.

I for one realllly like the idea of having Langenbrunner and his excellent checking ability on this team not only for now, but for those playoff games where we need a guy that can keep his cool and just keep rushing.

Here is what we got.....

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Jordan Schroeder ($0.600m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Steve Sullivan ($2.100m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Dale Weise ($0.750m) / David Steckel ($1.000m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m)

Tom Sestito ($0.750m) / Jamie Langenbrunner ($1.150m)

DEFENSEMEN

Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Chris Tanev ($1.500m) / Brett Clark ($0.700m)

Andrew Alberts ($0.600m) / Yannick Weber ($0.650m)

Frank Corrado ($0.599m) /

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

Eddie Lack ($0.750m)

------

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,752,778; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (25-man roster): $1,547,222

Sullivan's the same height as our own Jordan Schroeder and he's several pounds lighter (not to mention he's a natural winger, already 39 years old and in serious decline). Also, why Langenbrunner earns so much money in a reserve role is beyond me, because he's no Teemu Selanne.

Several seasons ago these would've been good deals if they were available; now I'd hesitate to offer these forwards so much as even a PTO.

Having the extra help at C is completely needed. If any injuries happen Sullivan can move up to the 2nd if need be and Steckel up the charts also. There is not much going on for this team down the middle and 1 injury could derail us for a little while. Richardson isn't nearly as good as Steckel in the circle. Schroeder isn't ready to anchor a line.

This is an excellent proposal...too many of us are stuck in the thought we need big name players to sign with us; that is totally wrong.

Yea it could work, but majority of the Cup winners win by keeping the core mostly how it is and quietly adding depth aqusitions like this which ultimately make the difference if things start clicking and lead to a Cup.

Really, really like the proposal OP! Just sad that most people here don't see the significant meaning behind these moves you proposed but I hear ya. Sullivan is one if those guys who when he gets going gets going. A Samuelsson type player. Steckel is those underrated bottom 6 centres who teams dream of getting to help with a Cup run, ala Chicago getting Handzus. Steckel is a solid face off man and has a sound defensive game and is a Malhotra type. And I really love the Clark signing. He a year or 2 ago used to quarterback the Lightning PP and is a very valuable veteran presence who makes a big difference depth wise and would really be great to help mentor a guy like Tanev.

BTW this is my 'next year' proposal...2014-2015

Trade Booth and Schroeder to the Isles for Matt Martin and a pick

Sign Bolland and Marleau

= Stanley Cup and lots of cap room

Line 1: Assumes Horvat makes the jump, and the Sedins sign for 5.1 but there is lots of room assuming the cap goes up as expected. Big and better hands than Kassian

Line 2: Marleau adds the 2nd liner we've been dying for and a playmaker for Kesler.

Line 3: Bolland Higgins Hansen - Nuff said (assumes Hansen takes a salary double he is now)

Line 4: Gives us one of the toughest most effective 4th lines in the NHL - makes it very tough for teams in the playoffs.

Sedin (5.1) Sedin (5.1) Horvat (1.75)

Marleau (7) Kesler (5) Burrows (4.5)

Higgins (2.5) Bolland (4.5) Hansen (3.2)

Kassian (1.3) Richardson (1.15) Martin (1.5)

Hamhius / Bieksa

Edler / Tanev

Garrison / Corrado

Defense (no changes) 15.6

Goal (no changes)

Lou

Lack

Total

I don t believe the key pieces are gonna come from outside the team. I believe that a couple of our prospects are gonna be depended on to fill spots and it s about time. We spend way too much time tryig to buy our way in rather than developing and using our youth. The best teams in the league depend on this concept and remain successful because they are effective in both areas.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived