The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

First 1st Overall Pick to Leave Edmonton?

Drouin

I'll say Yakupov, but only because Edmonton will be tied up cap-wise. I know they could fit him in, but if they want to build a balanced team, somebody has to go, and unfortunately, Yakupov will be the odd man out.

RNH likely won't go anywhere too quickly - despite his injuries. Edmonton has weak depth at the centre position already, and Hall is the Picture-Boy of the Young Oilers.

I am not so sure why CDC seems so convinced that 1 will have to go as if it's a fact of life.

Odds are if they all develop into strong players Edmonton will keep each of them.

I also doubt they would let Yak go. For a teenaged rookie only getting 14 minutes of ice time a game he was on pace for 29 goals in a full 82. Not to mention he only got dirtier as the season went on, in the final month of the year he played 14 games and had 11 goals still only averaging 15:50 of ice time that month. That itself is a pretty impressive start not to mention he is a RW and not in a position of depth concern.

And of course the money argument. Though the cap will go up teams won't just spurn they're best players because of cap space they will move other players first. See teams like Pittsburgh, Chicago, or LA.

Some players are made for some teams and seem to fit the mold of the team. I like Yak and know he is very skilled. He just doesn't scream oilers at me. Just my opinion. But I feel yak will be gone before long, I see Nashville kicking tires for him. Yakupov for Jones. Nashville needs front end work and oilers need Dmen studs.

Hopkins and Hall are injury prone.

Imo Hall is the best so they'll keep him. I think it's between Yakupov and RNH.

Hopkins wasn't that impressive in his sophomore season. Even if he has an average season this year, he can still get big money based on his rookie season.

Yakupov always has the KHL threat to get an extra 1-2M.

But ultimately I think Hopkins will be the first to leave.

Archived