The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Training Camp Roster Set ....0 PTO's.

Lui's Knob

There are some quality UFAs out there and Gillis has 2M to spend on them, and we desperately need defensive depth.

I understand MG wants young kids to fill our forward holes and that's fine - we've got a lot of depth up front now (including guys like Ferriero, Hamill, Santorelli etc.). But we're thin on defence.

Edler - Garrison

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Alberts - Tanev

Corrado

Weber

That's a defence asking for trouble. Those bottom-3 guys cannot play 20 minutes comfortably, and will be asked to do so when a few of our top guys go down to injuries, which will happen a lot more frequently with Tortorella's shot-blocking style. We have no one past Corrado that I'm comfortable calling up, and quite frankly Corrado and Weber are AHL defencemen.

Frustrating considering there are guys like Zanon and Hainsey still out there who would cost around 1M, but fit Tortorella's coaching style perfectly.

Well give them credit, they said they wanted young players to make the team, and they're giving them that opportunity.

We desperately need a number 6 D-man though. Alberts cannot be a regular in our lineup. Unless they believe Corrado is ready to make the jump full time. That's a risky move though if it doesn't pan out.

Im more comfortable with the top 5 then anything thats out there

hamhuis,Edler,garrison,Bieksa,tanev

Think Corrado may surprise and be the main 6 guy...ie subed out for weber and alberts occasionally

as for PTO we have a boatload of prospects to quickly sort through (mostly forward and some defensive)

and we will need to see how good we are with a few youngguns..... keep the capspace for trade deadline if we have holes.

Goaltending is set. Our defense is more than fine. Question marks are more up front. But the return of some healthy players combined with 1 or 2 enthusiastic young players will do wonders.

I'm kinda surprised there are no PTO's regardless, as we've done a bunch of those lately. However, no split-quad preseason games this time?

Here's hoping that we have some forwards who are ready to contribute for a full season.

Well give them credit, they said they wanted young players to make the team, and they're giving them that opportunity.

We desperately need a number 6 D-man though. Alberts cannot be a regular in our lineup. Unless they believe Corrado is ready to make the jump full time. That's a risky move though if it doesn't pan out.

With no PTOs I'm confident in saying that I believe the team is going to start the season with a defense of:

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Garrison-Corrado

Edler-Tanev

Alberts

Weber

This defense will have time split pretty evenly with the main differences being on PP and PK

But if Tort continues his trendy of riding his top 4 and giving his bottom 2 really sheltered minutes. It'd be:

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Garrison

Alberts/Weber-Tanev

Totally fine with 0 PTOs lots of teams in the league have 0 PTOs. Pretty sure Edmonton, San Jose, Los Angeles, Anaheim and Detroit have 0 PTOs.

Team is committed to having some young players make an impact

There are some quality UFAs out there and Gillis has 2M to spend on them, and we desperately need defensive depth.

I understand MG wants young kids to fill our forward holes and that's fine - we've got a lot of depth up front now (including guys like Ferriero, Hamill, Santorelli etc.). But we're thin on defence.

Edler - Garrison

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Alberts - Tanev

Corrado

Weber

That's a defence asking for trouble. Those bottom-3 guys cannot play 20 minutes comfortably, and will be asked to do so when a few of our top guys go down to injuries, which will happen a lot more frequently with Tortorella's shot-blocking style. We have no one past Corrado that I'm comfortable calling up, and quite frankly Corrado and Weber are AHL defencemen.

Frustrating considering there are guys like Zanon and Hainsey still out there who would cost around 1M, but fit Tortorella's coaching style perfectly.

I'm fine with it, besides most of you asked for youth, now here it comes. Corrado in the games he played last year did not look out of shape once what does that mean? It means he is ready to take the next jump. A top 8 of Hamhuis, Garrison, Edler, Bieksa, Corrado, Tanev and Weber, Alberts as depth is perfectly fine with me. Just because of no PTOs doesn't mean he won't sign someone.

Archived