The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Training Camp Roster Set ....0 PTO's.

Lui's Knob

Forget training camp; lets project the most fun play off line up (where this would not work reg season).

Danny / Hank / Kassian

Booth/ Kesler / Burrows

Higgins / Richardson / Hansen

Shinkaruk / Horvat / Jensen

We go in with the kid line! :towel:

Hamhuis / Bieksa

Edler / Tanev

Garrison / Corrado

I think having some cap room is a great thing going into the season. Give the kids a chance, if it doesn't pan out by November make a move. I am sure there will be a wealth of depth players around due to cap restrictions.

We have no need to make a move at this point. We need youth more than anything and if we don't give these guys a chance we may never get a youth movement.

I say save the 2mil for the trade deadline when we can use it with more insight to what we'll be like during the playoffs.

Would really have liked to see Hainsey at training camp. I'm a bit surprised that Gillis has not picked up another dman given he has said over and over again that teams in the West need defensive depth. This has never been more true now that the team will likely have a stronger emphasis on shot-blocking. Hainsey played over 20 minutes per game last year with the Jets. I'd be more comfortable with Hainsey playing top four minutes than a guy like Alberts, Weber, or Corrado (I think Corrado is capable, but it is a lot to ask for such a young dman).

There are some quality UFAs out there and Gillis has 2M to spend on them, and we desperately need defensive depth.

I understand MG wants young kids to fill our forward holes and that's fine - we've got a lot of depth up front now (including guys like Ferriero, Hamill, Santorelli etc.). But we're thin on defence.

Edler - Garrison

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Alberts - Tanev

Corrado

Weber

That's a defence asking for trouble. Those bottom-3 guys cannot play 20 minutes comfortably, and will be asked to do so when a few of our top guys go down to injuries, which will happen a lot more frequently with Tortorella's shot-blocking style. We have no one past Corrado that I'm comfortable calling up, and quite frankly Corrado and Weber are AHL defencemen.

Frustrating considering there are guys like Zanon and Hainsey still out there who would cost around 1M, but fit Tortorella's coaching style perfectly.

Wow that camp roster got inflated quick. From yesterday's article on Shinkaruk, they had the camp roster at 36 + how ever many rookies they planned to invite. Now the roster is 61 players, including 21 D, 35 F, and 5 G. That's almost 3 squads for a 5 day camp...

Here's the full list, which the OP should have provided: http://www.teamradio.ca/news/canucks-set-to-open-training-camp/

I find it interesting to note that we invited Zach Hall and Mitch Elliot, when we cut Franson, De Champlain, Johnston and Mailet from camp. The latter 2 of which scored in the tournament.

Anyways I think the roster is overkill even without PTOs. For the first time probably ever, we may well see cuts following fitness testing. Even if we do the usual home and home with Calgary in the preseason, this is still a ridiculous amount of players to get proper exposure to the few that might have a shot at a roster spot.

I love how everyone was complaining that we never gave our youngsters opportunities and now that these opportunities are available, people are calling for MG's head saying he needs to sign more players. Let the youngsters fight it out and maybe they'll pan out and do well, maybe they won't, but if the fail, then MG can go out and sign another player to fill the hole. Without AV playing favorites we'll finally have an exciting pre-season and season!

I'm happy to see that Utica signing John Negrin has been invited to main camp. He's been a bit of a forgotten player this summer.

Negrin has the upside to potentially play top-four minutes in the NHL as a low-risk, low-event all-around defenseman who can also play a shutdown role. His Hockey's Future rating is 7.0 D, just behind Corrado (7.0 C) and tied with Tommernes and McNally (both 7.0 D) on the Canucks D depth chart.

Here's his HF scouting report:

Negrin makes good defensive decisions; quick strike outlet passes to his forwards and can play on the shutdown pair of blueliners or control the puck for the power play. The smooth skating defenseman needs to show greater consistency to his overall game and must add more bulk to become a better all-around player at the NHL level but he must remain healthy for a whole season.

Archived