The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

do you guys think this team is better then last years?

yete

i still don't get the Lappy concern a lot of people seem to have after the 2011 run he really didn't do much both regular season and playoffs he had a couple great games but was wildly inconsistent

also its way way too early to tell we don't even know the opening day roster yet can't really compare rosters til then

We haven't seen the bellyflopping in a year. His lateral movement is not at all atrocious, his issue was core strength down low, that was why he was falling over. It had nothing to do with him moving side to side, the issue was staying square/upright.

Once again, Lu gets thrown under the bus. He had some bad games in the SCF, but the entire team was decimated. The goals Lu allowed were not terrible. Crawford had some terrible games during the playoffs this year. His glove hand was a joke. Yet, his teammates found a way to bail him out. The Canucks weren't able to do that against the Bruins. Let's not forget this guy won the William Jennings trophy. He's still a great goalie in this league and probably the best Canadian goalie in the world.

We haven't played a game and don't know the make-up of the team yet...

so just a little bit early to ask ;) but if you are asking if I "think" it is better, the answer is that anything would be better than that team last year that won despite itself... until it counted in the playoffs of course. Nobody thought that team was going anywhere - and there were huge concerns about the team that won the president's trophy despite itself the year before. Basically the last few years the AV teams really sucked. He was fired 2 years too late imho, wasted 2 years of our window.

loyalty is a vice if misundertood

The team took a big hit on goaltending. Theres no getting around it...we're looking at yet another season of asking whether or not Lu can regain his form. Its been (7?) years now and I can't see it happening. Another thing to worry about is that the team just got a year older without any young guys set to step into major roles and make a big impact. On the positive side, I really think a coaching change was long overdue and I can see a new system rejuvenating the team. Also, Booth and Kes can't possibly be more useless than they were last year (I know, not their fault, but still)...so we're looking at an upgrade there. Overall...tough to say but I think we've taken a step back and we need to count on Torts to make a big impact.

I would have liked an improvement to our brutal offence. We went from tearing up the league in 2011 to duds that cant score. I wish we dropped Booth for a better top 6 forward and got us a true offensive minded D man.

Doesn't matter who is in net. Goalies can't score goals and in the playoffs this team shrivels

Its hard to say at this point, but we have the potential to be WAY better. A healthy Booth and Kesler could be amazing for us this year. Prospects stepping up could be very good too, but this is all hard to say at this point.

Yes. We have a legitimate starter who has dominated the league for a decade.

Jokes aside... no probably we are worse. Lost lappy and added nothing but junk imo.

Unless one of our rookies steps up and does something special then we won't be as good as last year. Gotta count on the young guys like corrado tanev and hopefully contributions from Jensen or horvat or gaunce...

That or the saga wins 82 games and scores a .980 sp

What's up with all the Luongo hate!? He's gonna thrive this year as he always does when he's playing around 70 games.

Also don't forget under Torts the Canucks will (hopefully) be playing more defensive rather than some "up-tempo" style that we don't have the personnel for. I'm predicting that Lu will have one of his better seasons statistically, how many wins he gets depends on how often our forwards show up. On paper this team is pretty much the same as last year, however I think Torts system will suit the players more so they will be better overall.

Much better, and here's why.

Kesler, the fulcrum of this team, is healthy and has been all offseason for the first time in two years.

The goaltending situation is settled and there is a clear starter, again for the first time in two years.

With a new coach - an excellent new coach, and watch 24/7 NYR/ Flyers if you don't believe me - everyone will have to play their hardest and win their ice time

The prospect pool is the best it's been in years, with Jensen, Horvat, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Corrado, and the rest, and there are several open spots to fight for and again, a new coach these guys can impress. Lots of motivation there.

In a tough new division, there is not much room for error, which will keep everyone focused and intense all year, no gimmes or floating around. Of the teams in the division, Phoenix is the only one this group doesn't have some real hate going on with.

Really the only major negative going into camp: the doom and gloom emanating from the press corps and some so-called fans with poor attitudes. In a way, however, that too is a positive, as it will bring the Canucks together in a "nobody believes in us except the guys in this room!" sort of attitude, and rightly so, this is a team that has had a ton of success, played really well over the years and has never gotten the respect or appreciation they deserve - not from the rest of the league, not from the press - local or national - not from hockey fans generally or even Vancouver fans specifically, this is a team that's never gotten a fair shake, and I think this is gonna be the season they shove it in everyone's faces, including a lot of the doubters and naysayers on these boards. I got a good feeling about this season.

Archived