The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should we make an offer for Derek Stepan?

Mangoes

Derek Stepan Saga  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If we signed him to a 2 year at 3.3/year it would only be a 2nd round draft pick and it would be easy enough for us to clear enough space... now at 3.3 I'm sure NYR would find a way to match but if it did work it would make us incredibly deep down the middle and give us a legitimate 2nd line replacement for kesler if he gets hurt and shroeder can step into the 3C position.

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Derek Stepan ($3.300m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Tom Sestito ($0.750m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Dale Weise ($0.750m)

DEFENSEMEN

Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Chris Tanev ($1.500m) / Yannick Weber ($0.650m)

Andrew Alberts ($0.600m) /

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

Eddie Lack ($0.750m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,153,333; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $146,667

Spokern like a guy how bases his entire outlook on how things operate in NHL13

If hockey transactions were so basic Luongo would have been traded before the start of last season. Things are far more complicated than you seem to think

Who do you trade Booth to? He's injured, and based on his last couple seasons is a massive risk, overpaid, and a waste of a contract.

Sure, trade Higgins instead, oh wait, limited NTC

Sign him to a bridge contract for $2.7M per (yeah because the Rangers won't match that for a star in the making)

Ok sign him to a 5 yr $4.8M contract (let's say he signs the offer sheet, now the Canucks are well over the cap ceiling, are still one player shy of the 23 man roster with no easy way to get under the cap)

New York has 24 players signed and have almost as much cap space left as Vancouver who only have 22 players signed. They are in a position to match any reasonable offersheet. It would take a MASSIVE overpayment to get them to let him walk, the kind of offer that Vancouver simply can't afford to make

Higgins can choose the 10 teams he doesn't want to go to. That is what a limited NTC so it is possible to trade Higgins, Booth could possibly be on LTIR. So we could put Booth on the LTIR and then offer sheet Stepan for 3.5-5 million into the season and they won't be able to match since they'll be over the cap.

Just open your head and think about it for atleast 5 mins then you'll know what I am talking about.

Definitely. Could be our 2nd line center while Kesler shutsdown the other teams top line? Offer sheet him 2.7 million per for 2 years if he wants a bridge contract. If he wants a long term contract wouldn't mind giving him 4.8 million per for 5 years, trade Booth if he can, if not Higgins would be reasonable.

How? Trade Brassard? It would probably take a while to do that. They could try and get rid of Powe, Asham, Pyatt, Dorsett but I doubt they could free up enough cap space in such a short time and if doing so they would have almost no 4th line. Even if they match it, I don't mind getting Stepan a contract he deserves.

Also, why hasn't there been alot of news from NY concerning Stepan and his no contract. Pre season started and I haven't heard a thing since 3 weeks ago. I thought TSN, SNP would be talking about this just a bit, guess not.

:picard:

Stepan was their leading scorer last year, and that offer would make him the 6th highest paid forward on our team

Pull out your cheque book son; Sather laughs, puff's his cigar, matches and says thank you very much! Your offer is well under half what it would take to get the Rangers to cough...

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian (Scoring)

Booth - Stepan - Schroeder (Secondary scoring)

Burrows - Kesler - Hansen (Shutdown)

Richardson - Lain - Weise (Checking)

Our lineup can look like this, if you think he is going to be in 3C role (whichever role that is), besides Torts doesn't mind Stepan.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian (Scoring)

Booth - Stepan - Schroeder (Secondary scoring)

Burrows - Kesler - Hansen (Shutdown)

Richardson - Lain - Weise (Checking)

Our lineup can look like this, if you think he is going to be in 3C role (whichever role that is), besides Torts doesn't mind Stepan.

If our line-up looked like that i wouldn't even bother watching the season.. maybe the odd game here and there but the nux sure wouldn't get far that's for sure.. Sorry but unless there's a rash of injuries schredder isn't going to make this team..

Archived