The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shot blocking is stupid

puckinaround

I know many of you will hate on this post but whatever. I would never push HARD for my top players to drop and block shots. You dont want your 6mil dollar payroll players getting stupid ankle fractures/broken toes over one or two extra shots a season. It is not worth it. Kesler already had his toe broken with a blocked shot last year! Stupid! This strategy spells tragedy for our unprepaired stars who have never been agitated into doing this.

Im all for it, though if you have some fourth liners who have trained all day in defensive roles to be pros at it.

He's not saying he's going to get the Sedins to go out there and try and block every shot. If there's an opportunity for it on the pk, then they'll do it.

If done properly with the proper equipment, blocking shots is pretty routine.

Plus if we're playing a puck possession game and denying entry to our zone effectively, there won't even be that many opportunities to block shots.

He's not saying he's going to get the Sedins to go out there and try and block every shot. If there's an opportunity for it on the pk, then they'll do it.

If done properly with the proper equipment, blocking shots is pretty routine.

Plus if we're playing a puck possession game and denying entry to our zone effectively, there won't even be that many opportunities to block shots.

This kind of shot-blocking...is perfectly okay with me!

But I do hear what you're sayin'. Just ask Henrik Lundqvist, how much he liked dealing with chronic deflections & getting screened or being blocked-out?

Luongo's style & opinion should be considered. Goalie-coach Melanson will also go to bat for the 'tenders on this point. Most goalies wanna see those shots coming & face shooters. They ask their team mates to take-away the extra bodies, passes & clear the rebounds. That's better for Lu, than fighting to see over & thru flopping players who:

a. fail to block the shot

b. fail to get-up & take-away the following shot or shooter - if the shot is blocked

c. deflect or cause the puck to change its' trajectory & become a knuckle-puck

d. get injured, puttin' the team down-another-capable-man for the rest of the shift, the rest of the game...or longer.

On the PK, pressing for the puck is draining, yes. But, when you're successful at it & not just chasing, you can change quickly for fresh legs. It's when you're NOT fresh that you may need to "block shots". Don't get in those positions - by being tougher & fitter than the opposition...& more committed to doing the former like bats-outta-hell.

I wonder if Tortz expects 'em to block every shot...& get SH break-away ops on every PK then? I'll bank on him being....reasonable.

Shotblocking is a part of hockey. If a player is scared to get injured and doesn't want to block shots, they shouldn't be playing the game. Look at Logan Couture last year, perfect example of a top offensive player who will do what it takes to help his team win (what Torts is looking for as mentioned by Cyril Sneer above).

Archived