The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Scientists rally protesting Harper Government

Down by the River

A group that says Canadian government scientists are being hampered from talking to the public about their taxpayer-funded research will be holding rallies across the country on Monday.

The Evidence For Democracy is organizing events in 17 cities including Vancouver, trying to pressure Ottawa to be more forthcoming about communicating what government-funded scientific research is uncovering in fields such as public health, crime prevention, fisheries management and climate change.

scientists-300-02933930.jpg

Canadian scientists, including a protestor wearing a Grim Reaper costume, take part in a rally on Parliament Hill on July 10, 2012, protesting against federal cuts to science research. (Fred Chartrand / Canadian Press)

We "need to see science supported collectively by decision makers," said conservation biologist Pamela Zevit, who is organizing Monday's rally in Vancouver.

"The practice of science requires this open communication of ideas."

Canada's information commissioner, Suzanne Legault, confirmed earlier this year her office will investigate allegations that the federal government is muzzling its scientists.

The Vancouver rally kicks off at 11 a.m. PT Monday in front of the Vancouver Art Gallery.

The only thing worse than a Lawyer is an Environmental Lawyer.

What if one of these scientists decides to go rouge and spout off info that a foreign government could use? info that is valuable? Info that is paid for by taxpayers money. there has to be rules for them. so "muzzleing" them is no big deal. not because of some leftwing nit wits deadline. what about top secret files? should CSIS just let anyone look @ their files? get real. get a life. get a real job.

What if one of these scientists decides to go rouge and spout off info that a foreign government could use? info that is valuable? Info that is paid for by taxpayers money. there has to be rules for them. so "muzzleing" them is no big deal. not because of some leftwing nit wits deadline. what about top secret files? should CSIS just let anyone look @ their files? get real. get a life. get a real job.

What a lot of unsubstantiated hypotheticals. Not to mention not understanding that issue. The issue is about the government to (a) refuse to fund research or ( B) refuse to allow the dissemination of research that may go against their ideological views, irrespective of that information having a benefit to Canadians.

This isn't just about Enbridge or the environment. The Conservatives want you to live in fear of crime, despite you never being safer. They want to shut down any research to this effect, because some people vote Conservative solely because of their 'get tough on crime' approach. If people learned that 'get tough approaches' only created more crime and costed more money, Conservatives wouldn't get the votes that they do.

Tell me who has been a better primeminster and why?

Harper isn't a tree hugging hippy with unrealistic solutions to all the worlds problems.

He is an Econmically driven leader that carried us through the worlds economic collapse with little lasting effect.

I don't care about baby seals and melting Ice caps I care about my bank statement.

Thank you Harper

Drill on.

Harper isn't a tree hugging hippy with unrealistic solutions to all the worlds problems.

He is an Econmically driven leader that carried us through the worlds economic collapse with little lasting effect.

I don't care about baby seals and melting Ice caps I care about my bank statement.

Thank you Harper

Drill on.

Thank you Harper

Drill on.

No, actually you're wrong. He has NO solutions real or fabricated to fix any problems. Had he had his way in 07/08 our banking and regulatory system is the product of a previous government.

A liberal government.

Had Harper and Flaherty gotten their way we would have fallen faster and harder than the Americans.

Harper is an economist who has never actually worked as an economist. Flaherty is a lawyer with no economic experience either. Flaherty left office in Ontario leaving behind a surprise $5 billion deficit.....surprise.

Harper has really done nothing to help this country, he's had no economic approach or platform to speak of. They've run on fiscal responsibility and transparency yet have spent more money in 3 years than the last 13 years of previous governance.

So please, do not thank Harper for this. He's the reason I stopped voting Conservative. Because he's a lot of things but Conservative and monetarily sound ain't one of them

Archived