The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

This is why there is a ban on head hits in the NFL

canuckbeliever

The first two weeks of the NFL season have been great, borderline awesome. However, I have been absolutely disgusted by the fact that commentators keep portraying the NFL's decision (one that was influenced by a lawsuit mind you) to start remotely giving a sh*t about safety. One of the key decisions they have made is no contact to the head. NFL analysts such as John Lynch (who knew the occasional dirty hit or two) have been complaining about it. For those of you that watched the Bucs-Saints game yesterday you know exactly what I am talking about. Greg Schianos' thugs lead by Dashon Goldson were getting flagged continually for being overly physical and throwing cheap shots to the head yesterday. Lynch was condescendingly justifying the rules by saying the league had implimented them and they had to be followed. Just by the tone of his voice and the words he used one could tell he was saying all of this in a half a** manner and it was quite apparent that he does not like the new rules.

However, other commentators such as the color analyst for the pats jets Thursday night football game have stated openly that they are not a fan of the new rules. Contrary to the belief of said analysts and many alike there are reasons these rules have been put in place. It is to avoid situations such as the one which occurred in the state of New York.

Brocton High School football player Damon Janes dies following collision on field

A 16-year-old football player has died following a helmet-to-helmet collision that occurred in a varsity football game on Friday.

175b5f18-421f-e311-99e4-002655e6c126_original.jpgFacebook photo

Damon Janes, BroctonDamon Janes, a junior at Brocton (N.Y.)High School, died Monday afternoon at Women & Children’s Hospital of Buffalo. He reportedly lost consciousness in the third quarter following the collision in a game at Portville. Janes was a running back and defensive back.

Since the incident, friends, families and strangers have reached out to the Brocton community and the Janes family. Green, blue and white ribbons were wrapped around trees near the school. Well wishers left messages throughout Twitter feeds under #PrayForDamon. More than 8,300 "likes" have been clicked upon in support of Janes.

In a statement, the boy's parents expressed their "gratitude to those who have supported and prayed for Damon and his family.”

There have been 25 fatal injuries to American high school football players between 2003 and 2013, according to the National Center for Catastrophic Sport Injury Research at the University of North Carolina. About 1.1 million teens played high school football in the United States in 2012, according to the same report, and approximately 4.2 million played the sport that year from the youth to NFL level.

Blame it on the players, they're the ones going for the headshots. But when a running back or receiver with the ball has their shoulder or head so low as if they are trying to truck then you can't blame anyone. If the ball carrier wants to run with his head down trying to run over defenders, when he gets rocked and hurt because the defender had to put his shoulder down too which resulted in a head on head collision who are you going to blame?

Don't ever put yourself in a vulnerable position to get seriously hurt or it might happen, instead of putting his head down he could just keep his head up try to juke or hurdle.

Change the helmets and pads so they aren't knight's armor and watch the real entertainment commence as players try and launch themselves as javelins at other players and just hurt themselves instead.

Of course, injuring themselves trying to tackle like that is also kind of happening, just not enough. I saw in the Seahawks vs. 49ers game a player recklessly launch himself at a WR and hurt himself instead. Even though I was cheering for the Niners and it was a Niners guy hurt, I still LOL'd. That's the way it's supposed to be. Quit going for the highlight KO hit on the other guy and just go after the ball.

The NFL does more and more in this politically correct attempt to make the sport seem more "safe" to the mainstream and instead tends to make players even more unsafe during play. They have more plausible corrections that have players tackle with more precaution for themselves (instead of believe because they're in helmet and pads they're that safe playing like reckless morons) and are more for wrapping up, but that wouldn't be superficially pleasing to the eye enough (for their equipment makers and sponsors) compared to the current helmets and uniforms with armored pads on.

Change the helmets and pads so they aren't knight's armor and watch the real entertainment commence as players try and launch themselves as javelins at other players and just hurt themselves instead.

Of course, injuring themselves trying to tackle like that is also kind of happening, just not enough. I saw in the Seahawks vs. 49ers game a player recklessly launch himself at a WR and hurt himself instead. Even though I was cheering for the Niners and it was a Niners guy hurt, I still LOL'd. That's the way it's supposed to be. Quit going for the highlight KO hit on the other guy and just go after the ball.

The NFL does more and more in this politically correct attempt to make the sport seem more "safe" to the mainstream and instead tends to make players even more unsafe during play. They have more plausible corrections that have players tackle with more precaution for themselves (instead of believe because they're in helmet and pads they're that safe playing like reckless morons) and are more for wrapping up, but that wouldn't be superficially pleasing to the eye enough (for their equipment makers and sponsors) compared to the current helmets and uniforms with armored pads on.

Archived