The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Preseason filled with questions, and questions still remain.

dangler696969

We can all agree that this has probably been the most hyped preseason in Canucks history, due to many of our young guys getting a shot to make the team. However, it seems as though things haven't gone as well as hoped with some of our players that have question marks following them. I will elaborate.

Nicklas Jensen: After a strong young stars tournament it was thought that Jensen was ready to tear it up in training camp. He has done anything but, and his recent injury will certainly not help him. Looks like he needs an AHL season to get better. I don't think he scored a goal this pre season, which was definitely expected of him.

David Booth: All of the Booth fan boys and faithfuls (Pun intended) kept saying to wait until he was back and that he was ready for a monster year, of course if he doesn't get injured. Well that ship has sailed, and I feel like I've seen this movie 1 too many times. Get him out of here.

Third line center debate: With the emergence of Mike Santorelli, it looks like it is his job to lose, but what happens when Schoeder comes back? Also, Gaunce and Horvat have looked above average, but i still don't get the feeling that they are ready, Sure, Gaunce looks defensively sound and responsible, but his skating is weak. With the way Santorelli is playing, Gaunce will either be a fringe winger with us or in junior for another year.

Zack Kassian: He has had good moments in the preseason, but he still seems to struggle with consistency. Even when playing with the Sedins he has struggled. Also, after his suspension he said that he is going to "vow" to get in better shape. Was he not in good shape like he should've been??? It is no excuse to show up to camp not in shape. In all of his preseason interviews he said he was ready to go. It appears Canuck Nation was lied to. Put down the bottle.

Hunter Shinkaruk: Probably our most NHL ready prospect right now, which is as much a compliment to him as is a slap in the face to Jensen. This kid seems to have unreal hands, vision and a shot. However, will he be trusted to not get injured during an 82 game season? Another year in juniors might do him some good, but then again....he might be exactly what we need.

Back up Goalie: Eddie Lack looks terrible. Plain and simple. If he doesn't start to play better, I don't think anyone involved with the Canucks would trust him to back up Roberto. Until the issue resolves itself, or gets resolved by Gillis, it is a big "?"

Who will be our 6th dman?: Our top 5 are Bieksa, Garrison, Hamhuis, Edler, and tanev in no particular order. It looks like it will be between Corrado, Weber, and Alberts for the 6th spot. I'm not an Alberts fan, and I've liked the way Weber has played except for last game in San Jose he was absolutely terrible. Corrado has looked underwhelming to me so far.

Please, feel free to discuss any of these. With most of the preseason gone our management and coaching staff have some decisions to make, and some things they have to wait on. Hopefully we can all agree that Booth needs to go.

Hunter Shinkaruk: Probably our most NHL ready prospect right now, which is as much a compliment to him as is a slap in the face to Jensen. This kid seems to have unreal hands, vision and a shot. However, will he be trusted to not get injured during an 82 game season? Another year in juniors might do him some good, but then again....he might be exactly what we need.

We can all agree that this has probably been the most hyped preseason in Canucks history, due to many of our young guys getting a shot to make the team. However, it seems as though things haven't gone as well as hoped with some of our players that have question marks following them. I will elaborate.

Nicklas Jensen: After a strong young stars tournament it was thought that Jensen was ready to tear it up in training camp. He has done anything but, and his recent injury will certainly not help him. Looks like he needs an AHL season to get better. I don't think he scored a goal this pre season, which was definitely expected of him.

David Booth: All of the Booth fan boys and faithfuls (Pun intended) kept saying to wait until he was back and that he was ready for a monster year, of course if he doesn't get injured. Well that ship has sailed, and I feel like I've seen this movie 1 too many times. Get him out of here.

Third line center debate: With the emergence of Mike Santorelli, it looks like it is his job to lose, but what happens when Schoeder comes back? Also, Gaunce and Horvat have looked above average, but i still don't get the feeling that they are ready, Sure, Gaunce looks defensively sound and responsible, but his skating is weak. With the way Santorelli is playing, Gaunce will either be a fringe winger with us or in junior for another year.

Zack Kassian: He has had good moments in the preseason, but he still seems to struggle with consistency. Even when playing with the Sedins he has struggled. Also, after his suspension he said that he is going to "vow" to get in better shape. Was he not in good shape like he should've been??? It is no excuse to show up to camp not in shape. In all of his preseason interviews he said he was ready to go. It appears Canuck Nation was lied to. Put down the bottle.

Back up Goalie: Eddie Lack looks terrible. Plain and simple. If he doesn't start to play better, I don't think anyone involved with the Canucks would trust him to back up Roberto. Until the issue resolves itself, or gets resolved by Gillis, it is a big "?"

Who will be our 6th dman?: Our top 5 are Bieksa, Garrison, Hamhuis, Edler, and tanev in no particular order. It looks like it will be between Corrado, Weber, and Alberts for the 6th spot. I'm not an Alberts fan, and I've liked the way Weber has played except for last game in San Jose he was absolutely terrible. Corrado has looked underwhelming to me so far.

Please, feel free to discuss any of these. With most of the preseason gone our management and coaching staff have some decisions to make, and some things they have to wait on. Hopefully we can all agree that Booth needs to go.

OP is right, there are a lot of question marks going into this season. This is a common feature for the Nucks at this time of year, what with their notoriously slow starts. The real dissappointment is that the rookies are just not ready to make the team (although some of them are looking like future pros). Other than Schroeder and maybe Corrado, I don't see any rookies making the team. Hopefully Jensen will go back to AHL and upgrade his skills -maybe get a callup during the season.

I do think that Sedins, Hansen, Higgins and our top 4 defensemen will have a better season than last year. Richardson and Santorelli may be upgrades as well.

Burrows, Kesler, Booth, Kassian, Lu are the ? marks IMO. Unfortunately, they are key players.

I think Lack will be ok as backup, as long as he gets solid defensive support.

I have to admit that the new division worries me. It will be more of a battle to make the playoffs this year for sure.

I stopped reading when you said it's been the most hyped preseason in Canucks history. I wasn't too keen on reading any post by you to begin with, but that just showed me how reasonable the rest of the post would be.

And for those wondering, us going into the 2010/2011 season as significant favourites in a lot of people's eyes when we really did have the best team and best chance in Canucks history is a much more likely pick for the most hyped preseason.

I don't have a problem with questions. Questions can be pretty fine things.

Booth - no one has seen Booth's game thus far, so too early to write him off, but he's generally written off too soon anyway, without much consideration of his actual situational play and really strong underlying numbers.

Jensen is the one guy who may have underwhelmed.

The other prospects have fared pretty well.

Santorelli has forced the issue.

You're far too hard on Lack imo.

Not much here that hasn't been said many times already.

Don't share your sense of gloom.

I dont get why everyone took tort's comments about using this suspension as an oppotunity for more conditioning for Kassian as an indication that kassian was out of shape to begin with. The way I like to think of it;

"Kassian was being a big dumb meat-head, So i m gonna bag-skate this dummy till he pukes. He'll remember to think next time."

anywho, the way i see it, If we have a glut of capable 3rd/4th centers, we can use schroeder as a setup man for higgy and kesler for a bit. He has good vision and passing ability. I believe they showed some chemistry last year before AV jumbled the lines up.

I think our 5/6 pairing on D has been pretty bad to be honest, tanev/alberts/weber are making way too many mistakes in our own end. Which is wierd because tanev was mr. reliable last year. In fact, tanev/ballard was our best pairing for almost a month.

Corrado was ok, but that guy had better learn how to avoid some checks in the corner because he's getting run over hard half the time. Same could be said for tanev.

Archived