The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

U.S. Government Shuts Down

schlaBAM

Big news, folks. Because a bunch of old men couldn't grow up and get over their differences (temporarily), the whole world, including 800,000 employees, get to suffer.

There's a better article written here but for some reason it wouldn't let me copy paste it:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/30/politics/shutdown-showdown/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

U.S. government shuts down after Congress fails to reach budget deal

KEVIN CARMICHAEL

WASHINGTON — The Globe and Mail

Published Tuesday, Oct. 01 2013, 12:04 AM EDT

Last updated Tuesday, Oct. 01 2013, 12:30 AM EDT

The U.S. started a new fiscal year Tuesday without a budget, a political failure that will put hundreds of thousands of non-essential federal workers on unpaid furlough; close parks, museums and offices; and impede basic services such as delivery of government payments.

Congress had until midnight Monday to resolve their differences over how to keep the government open. It failed to do so, as Republicans insisted on measures that would undermine President Barack Obama’s signature healthcare overhaul, and Democrats refused to consider anything other than a clean extension of existing spending authority.

Since Friday, the Republican-led House of Representatives and the Democratic-led Senate traded bills that technically would have avoided a shutdown – technically, because every proposal was politically unacceptable to the other side.

The final attempt was made about an hour before deadline when Republicans floated the idea of a negotiating panel with the Senate. Harry Reid, the Senate’s majority leader, refused. “We’re not going to go to conference with a gun to the head,” Mr. Reid said on the Senate floor.

As midnight approached, Office of Management and Budget Director Sylvia Mathews Burwell told the heads of government agencies to commence an “orderly shutdown” of the federal government.

“Unfortunately, we do not have a clear indication that Congress will act in time for the president to sign a continuing resolution before the end of day tomorrow,” Ms. Mathews Burwell said in the memorandum.

“Agencies should now execute plans for an orderly shutdown due to the absence of appropriations.”

Lawmakers now have failed to keep the government open 18 times since the late 1970s, although the last one occurred 17 years ago in a showdown between Bill Clinton and former Republican House speaker Newt Gingrich.

The latest manifestation of Washington’s political dysfunction will test the patience of international investors, who watched with trepidation in recent days as lawmakers once again lurched toward a fiscal precipice.

North American financial markets drifted lower on Monday. The Standard & Poor’s 500 Index slipped 0.3 per cent, and the Dow Jones industrial average 0.8 per cent. In Toronto, the S&P/TSX Index slipped 0.4 per cent. Asian stock markets were mixed Tuesday as a new trading resumed in Sydney, Tokyo, Shanghai and elsewhere.

As negotiations ossified, Mr. Obama sought to pin the blame of a government shutdown on House Speaker John Boehner’s inability to control his Tea Party faction.

The president went to the White House press room late Monday and said that he believed there still was time to find an agreement. The White House said Mr. Obama called Democratic and Republican leaders in the Senate and House of Representatives Monday evening to urge a resolution.

“My hope and expectation is that in the eleventh hour, once again, that Congress will choose to do the right thing and that House of Representatives, in particular, will choose to do the right thing,” he said.

But with all signs pointing to a shutdown, Mr. Obama also used the opportunity to single out his opponents as the cause of the deadlock. “One faction of one party, in one house of Congress, in one branch of government doesn’t get to shut down the entire government just to refight the results of an election,” he said.

Mr. Boehner, who has been unable to convince the hard-line members of his caucus to pass clean legislation that would extend the federal government’s spending authority beyond the end of the current fiscal year at midnight.

Those members, elected with the backing of the Tea Party movement, insist on using the prospect of a government shutdown as leverage in an attack on “Obamacare,” which the president signed into law more than three years ago.

A shutdown won’t necessarily be disastrous, provided a resolution was found in a matter of days. IHS Global Insight, a research firm, estimates that a week-long shutdown would reduce gross domestic product by two-tenths of a percentage point.

“I expect a shutdown, and I expect it to be measured in weeks, not days,” Tony Fratto, a partner at Washington-based consultancy Hamilton Place Strategies and a former spokesman in George W. Bush’s White House, said Monday afternoon.

Very unfortunate, i feel for the people earning a living that for the time being will be given essentially IOU's and not receive paycheques for all their day to day stuff. Not to mention the parks, museums, etc that will simply close down until further notice.

Yet the lawmakers can continue with their childish antics and waste people's money and time not being constructive all while continuing to earn their 100k + salaries.

I don't think any American deserves this from their representatives, the people voted by them to speak for their needs.

:picard: Why is Obamacare so hated by Republicans? To shut down gov't because you don't accept healthcare for your people is retarded, or is there some flaw with Obamacare I don't know about?

Edit: why is Google always lurking articles about the US on CDC?

26 user(s) are reading this topic

10 members, 11 guests, 2 anonymous users

mbal23, pimpcurtly, Lillooet_Hillbilly, Google, Armada, Pineapples, CanuckianOne, PlayStation, NightHawkSniper, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo, Visp

Two powerful parties disagree over financial issues, both sides put together multiple proposals that are unacceptable to the other party, proposals continue until the last possible hour, neither side will bend to the others needs/wants and so many people are out of a job until the two powers can come to an agreement...

Sounds like Bettman found his way into American politics. Brace yourself for the lockout!

Because people who feel it's their right to earn money and make profit in business are insulted that they are being " penalized " for having full time employees. The owners are losing money to the system and they feel that they had no say in this.

So against change and unwilling to move off of their supposed " rights " issues ie: gun control lol

Obviously Obamacare is not 100%, there are flaws as with any system, but the idea and structure is in place to provide Americans who'd otherwise not get coverage to have coverage.

I don't know if it is small or big business that is the biggest reason for resistance, but I find it insulting that so many interviewed are speaking about how they are getting penalized. I mean come on, everybody needs to chip in and business is the best positioned to do so is it not ?

This garbage about competing restaurants side by side having the same employees work part time shifts at each company so as to not " penalize " the owners for having fulltime employees ? and screwing the workers out of coverage ? that is complete nonsense.

Because it's not possible to actually fund it.

We all know how Medicare and Medicaid in the USA is broken, yet it still makes up like 40% of the budget. Obamacare will just push the costs through the roof.

I know it sounds bad, but Obamacare is basically just catering to the poorest segment of society. Not saying you give them nothing, but when it's like 20% of the population will fiscally decimate the country plus many smaller companies, it just doesn't make any sense.

Healthcare is affordable, just not under the system it is now. I remember something like 5% of the doctors incur like 75% of all lawsuits or something (numbers are probably off, but the idea still stands), which is one of the major reason that healthcare is so expensive.

As for the debt ceiling.... remember when the last time it happened? Was it like a year or two ago? The politicians were saying it's just a one-time thing, lol. I doubt any sitting Republicans will actually bring in some fiscal responsibility, as they're just the opposite side of the same rear-end.

Oh well.... the USA will collapses eventually.... start investing in guns, ammo, portable water filters, military rations, solar panels I guess.

Archived