The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

English Question: Using the word 'any'

Although I'm a native speaker, I can't explain the usage of the word 'any'. Consider the following examples.

"Do you have any questions?" is a common question to ask, yet I was checking to see if it was grammatically correct. Everyone said that it is right.

But why is, for example, "Sorry for any inconvenience" acceptable? Isn't 'any' almost the same as 'every'? (Singular)

"Any person that leaves this classroom will get punished."

"I don't have any question that she is a suitable candidate."

"Is there any question as to how reliable she is?"

"I can pick any car that I want."

Also.. any is sometimes fused with words like 'anyone'... 'anything', which seems to further suggest that the word, in itself, is 'singular'.

But then... you have sentences like

"I don't have any problems with that person."

English seems very confused. It seems that bad grammar that has found its way into common usage.

Context. The first all would be used in a very general abstract sense with no multiplicity involved. All is just... everything. Ie.

"How's everything? "

"All is good"

The second would be used in a situation where you're given a variety and the "all" refers to you addressing the discrete things in a group. Because it's a group of things, it's plural. I dunno, I'm just thinking of how I'd justify it. They both make sense

'Any' is singular, you're looking for one out of many. 'Every' is an inclusive set of many subjects. The suffixes you provided are the suite that you are selecting from in your search for one.

example - Does anybody have a pencil?

You are looking for one person (one warm body) that can lend a pencil.

But I agree that your questions about 'all' are grammatical mutations; on the other hand, such is our language. I for one accept our newe overLoards.

lol

I don't see why it matters much, except to either a pedant or a litigant.

I don't focus on the word itself, since language is merely a communication tool.. I just focus on if what's being said is understood or not. The discretion between singular and plural to me is quite irrelevant and someone who has even a small grasp of English won't be bothered by the the ambiguity of such a technicality.

Do you think any slut is considering to join an English class?

So, I get that 'any ideas' allows the opportunity for 'more than one possibility' but the 'any' in the above examples serve no purpose whatsoever. If you drop a word from a sentence and it still makes sense (grammatically), then that

that word shouldn't have been there to begin with.

Archived